News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

RPG Walk : Grid or 8-Way?

Started by hartnell, May 24, 2008, 11:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hartnell

Sorry Tommy, I didn't see your post.

Yeah, the whole point of my question was to see what people think of when they think RPG movement. I'm 31. I think "Dragon Warrior."

-- hartnell

sadron

Zelda does NOT count as an RPG, it's an action adventure.
Now, by movement are you thinking more along the lines of Final Fantasy formulae? You could do a mix of both but personally it depends on your tastes and how you want to lay it out.
"What quickly becomes obvious is that Witcher is very much a PC-exclusive game, which are typically designed to be as complex and unintuitive as possible, so that those dirty console-playing peasants don't ruin it for the glorious PC-gaming Master Race." - Zero Punctuation

Makeii Runoru

Quote from: sadron on August 10, 2008, 07:04:12 PM
Zelda does NOT count as an RPG, it's an action adventure.

We don't want to walk down that road again. I'm sure there's a whole book on the debate of whether or not Zelda is an RPG or Action Adventure.
This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

KazaKami

I'm mostly a RPG Developer both are used in RPGs and basically it just depends on the type of game you're going to have. If you want some realisim Pixel-Movement+8 way would be the best to code, or if you want grid, usually 16X16 is the standard... but I have seen 32X32 used for tile movement.

All games today are basically pixel based except Pokemon, the movement I'm gonna code on Monday is 8 way, probably will take me a few hrs to adjust to the new programming language.
---|KazaKami Gaming|---