News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

biker boy wip

Started by micky4fun, December 02, 2009, 05:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

hi all

just been mucking about in between compo ,
thought i might do so kinda bike jump game , well aint got a bike yet , so simpson on skate board will do ,
lot to do yet , control to build up speed , controlling bike in air etc
but this gives you some idea , will carry on after compo

mick :)

kevin

the pic's a little wide don't ya think ? :)

micky4fun

Quotethe pic's a little wide don't ya think ?
haha  well wanted to make sure everyone could see it ,
think i pressed the wrong button when saving image ,

mick ;D

kevin

Quotethink i pressed the wrong button when saving image

Happens to me all the when grabbing a screenie.. but anyway..

So it's to be one those motorbike jumping games...   If you looking for a bit of challenge, you could add some perspective to the scene,  a bit like the Thesius XIII  scene.    Could possible make the scene out of meshes and render it in pseudo 3d.   As long you didn't go crazy with polly count or the screen size, it'd probably work fine. 

monkeybot

paralax sort of thing?

I have been thinking of doing one of those motorbike jumpy type of games for ages,a bit like kickstart from back in the late 80's....cool game

micky4fun

Hi monkeybot ,,

QuoteI have been thinking of doing one of those motorbike jumpy type of games for ages,a bit like kickstart from back in the late 80's....cool game
well now maybe a good time ? , im sure it would be a very good version

well old mastertronic's did one for the atari400/800 and commadore 64 , great game loved it in its day ,
over here in the uk susie perry did this type of game for the gadget show , and a very nice one on the iphone is mx mayham ,
though mine wont be as good as these as my maths wont allow that , plus i will have trouble with the collision dectection , but worth a go i think ,

thanks
mick :D

BlinkOk

looks pretty cool mick.
if your lookin for ideas you can do no better than this one.
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/11/eurogamer_indie_game_arcade_jo.html

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

Thanks for the link , only played video about 10 times so far , what a great game , got my xbox360 ready and cant wait to play this one , looks amazing ,
well mines going to be a bit better than this one i hope ,, haha

mick ;D

monkeybot

Ahh yes mastertronic thats the one

BlinkOk

this is the perfect opportunity to get into box2d.

BlinkOk

i asked mick if i could supply some graphics for this one. i'm not sure if i wanna go like the dangerous dan one or a sleezy gas pump jockey on a chopper.

also. what do you think about an iso perspective on this one. like this (that way the different lanes would be more obvious);

micky4fun

Hi Blinkok

Quotethis is the perfect opportunity to get into box2d.
ahh i did look at this a while back i think , did not really have much of a clue how it worked or what was happing , i would need mores examples
and loads of help on this i think

Quotealso. what do you think about an iso perspective on this one. like this (that way the different lanes would be more obvious);
oh my gord , im still strugling with normal 2d , would this be a lot harder , again i would proberly need some examples on this and even more
help , but it does look nice.

mick ;D

BlinkOk

iso is not that difficult at all mike. i wouldn't be too worried. for now i'd forget about the box2d though.
the only thing is you would need to work more mathematically for hit testing (which i don't think is too big a deal).
maybe one of the other guys has some further ideas on this.
the conversion from 3d co-ordinate space to 2d is as easy as pie though. no problemo mate.

here it is;

point.x2d = (point.x3d-point.z3d)*Math.cos(0.46365);
point.y2d = point.y3d+(point.x3d+point.z3d)*Math.sin(0.46365) * -1;

i dunno hos sin and coz functions are implemented in playbasic but i bet you do.

anyway i could help when i get back but as always it's entirely up to you. if you don't wanna do it
then no problems mate. straight 2D is cool too

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

Quoteiso is not that difficult at all mike. i wouldn't be too worried. for now i'd forget about the box2d though.
would love to get into box2d as you say will help me a lot , but it looks quite complicated.
i would like to see a few more demos of this program , but simple ones just a fews things on screen to see if i could suss it out ,

a simple program like the 500 bubbles demo in PB , this is the demo that will always stick in my mind , it took me ages to suss the demo out , i think the name of some of the varibles through me out , but this demo alone got me on the PB bandwagon
i could see by this demo how powerfull PB was and how easy it was to get 500 yes 500 objects flying around the screen and your in control of were they are all going , not that you need 500 , a lot can be done with 10 or less , i did'nt need all fancy stuff like alpha blending at this time , that can come all later .#

would like to see a small simple demo in PlayBasic on an iso perspective , as i did not understand your code , sorry blink
well PB has sin cos sinh and cosh commands in it , but i nothing on how to use these , but if time is of no essence then would love to give it a try , to see how i go
Quotewould need to work more mathematically for hit testing
yep i just about managed to get the level 2 of the game rescue me to work ok'ish , its not perfect but will do
so i would need help badly on this.
Quotemaybe one of the other guys has some further ideas on this
yep would be good to get someone else on board , as im not that great in the programming dept , i think this would bring us forward a lot

ok lets get the compo over and done and we see how we go.

mick :)

u9

Hi Mick and Blink. I think going iso on this is a great idea. I am not sure, but i think that would mean that you have to separate the graphics from the world model. As scary as it sounds there is nothing to it. It just means that while your logic is still a normal 2d game, you draw it differently, so you would need boxes and circles to do collision detection as you couldn't use the graphics directly any more. I think it would be perfect for your learning curve :)

I haven't done an iso game myself (as i can recall hehe) but i will try and help any way i can. I have done a lot of games by separating the world model from the graphics and using circles and boxes for collision detecting :)