Difference between Playbasic and DarkBasic

Started by TrailBoss, November 01, 2005, 01:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrailBoss

:blink:

Could somebody discuss the merits of PlayBasic vs. DarkBasic?  Trying to decide which to buy...

Thanks,

Trailboss

kevin

Which version of DarkBasic ?    classic or Pro ?

Here's a small list of features you'll find in the PlayBASIC that aren't in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC PRO

* Compiler has built in Explicit Mode (Force variable declarations)

* Array Passing  In-OUT of of functions

* Functions support multiple return values

* Static Variables

* Types Support inheritance     

* Array Commands.

* Faster string and math engine

* Sprite to Sprite Pixel Perfect collision (Rotated/Scaled..)

* Sprite collision support various vector collision methods from RECT/CIRCLE through to vector shapes (unlimited number of sides).  Engine can detect combination impacts between Vector and pixels.

* Includes Map engine.  Engine includes occlusion  and collision functions.  The command set includes a lot of built in features, You can run ray intersections on maps (at pixel level), as well detect if a sprite pixels hit a map etc.   

* Bitmap font built in
   * BlitFx support queue based threading. So you can shift big renders to second cores.

* Etc etc

Updated: 2014

TrailBoss

QuoteWhich version of DarkBasic ?    classic or Pro ?

Thank you!  That was very helpful!  Well I was talking about DarkBasic Pro.

I'm very new to PlayBasic, but I am a long, long time fan of the Basic language.

How well is this language supported?  How long has it been around?  What is the user base?

Honestly, I'm not THAT impressed with Dark Basic Pro and it seems like it needs beefy hardware also...

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your time.

TrailBoss

kevin

QuoteHow well is this language supported?

Well, your talking to one of the authors :).    We've issued updates about every 2 months on average.    The forums are here for users questions.  

QuoteHow long has it been around?

PB was officially release last December 2004 (here) and through TGC since June 2005  

QuoteWhat is the user base?

Obviously that's confidential   While the user base is small, it's also steadily growing.  

QuoteHonestly, I'm not THAT impressed with Dark Basic Pro and it seems like it needs beefy hardware also...

Well, their focus is the 3D audience primarily.  2D is more an byproduct in DBpro.  So they serve different purposes.  

PB focuses on keeping the 2D requirements down, but this does come at the expense of hardware assisted effects like fast alpha blending.

Our long term goal is to provide 2 solutions (low system requires/higher requirements), so users have the flexibility to choose.   but that's 2006..

TrailBoss

QuoteWell, your talking to one of the authors :).    We've issued updates about every 2 months on average.    The forums are here for users questions. 
PB was officially release last December 2004 (here) and through TGC since June 2005 
Obviously that's confidential   While the user base is small, it's also steadily growing. 
Well, their focus is the 3D audience primarily.  2D is more an byproduct in DBpro.  So they serve different purposes. 

PB focuses on keeping the 2D requirements down, but this does come at the expense of hardware assisted effects like fast alpha blending.

Our long term goal is to provide 2 solutions (low system requires/higher requirements), so users have the flexibility to choose.   but that's 2006..

Last question, as PlayBasic seems like it would easily suit my needs...  I only want to create simple games for my (little) kids.

Are there any books out there on PB or is the help file good enough for most?  

Oh, and also, just go ahead and buy it online and download?  Or is there some other method?

TrailBoss

kevin

QuoteAre there any books out there on PB or is the help file good enough for most?

There are no books that I'm know of (yet).   We've been looking into producing a book from the help files, but it'd be far too expensive for users, at this point in time.

Now since PB is still evolving, so are the help files.  With each update we do got back and revise bits and pieces of them.  They're certainly not perfect.  I'm well aware of that!   However, if you'd had some previous basic experience, they should be  adequate.

If you get lost, ask here.  Somebody is bound to help out.

QuoteOh, and also, just go ahead and buy it online and download? Or is there some other method?

PlayBasic (like all our products) are  delivered electronically.     You are strongly advised to download the FREE learning edition and mess around with it.   Remember It's a few revisions older than the current retail version editions, but more than suitable to get a taste of PlayBASIC.

You can download the demo from the PlayBASIC home page

http://www.playbasic.com

TrailBoss

Thank you, I just purchased it.

TrailBoss