Main Menu

I'm confused!!!! Worlds and Maps

Started by ale870, April 10, 2012, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ale870

Hello,
this is my second post (the first one I posted in my "welcome" presentation :-)

I found a big problem using PlayBasic: there is no guide line (or I can say I cannot find it) to guide new users to understand how to make a complete game genre from scratch, and which methods to be used.
Well, for example, after I studied many examples I understood that, for my platform side-scrolling game I need Maps (tiles) and World (maybe...).
So when do I need to use Maps? When World? I need to generate the scenario at runtime (procedurally generated) so what's the best method to apply collisions?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
--Alessandro

kevin

QuoteI found a big problem using PlayBasic: there is no guide line (or I can say I cannot find it) to guide new users to understand how to make a complete game genre from scratch, and which methods to be used.

Which a is pretty universal problem to all programming languages.  Learning to program, and learning to game programming are separate issues.   There are some tutorials that cover both here, but there's not many, since nobody seems interesting in writing them.   

QuoteSo when do I need to use Maps? When World?

Dunno,  given there's many potential solutions to any one given problem.   A map is just an array of 'graphics' blocks,  the usage of which are only limited by ones imagination.   You could use maps for purely display situations, collisions, both or none. 

ale870

Quote from: kevin on April 10, 2012, 06:47:07 PM
     Which a is pretty universal problem to all programming languages.  Learning to program, and learning to game programming are separate issues.   There are some tutorials that cover both here, but there's not many, since nobody seems interesting in writing them.   

I haven't problems with game programming :-)
I think such documents needs to be written by the company self, in order to simplify and promote their product usage.

Quote from: kevin on April 10, 2012, 06:47:07 PM
     Dunno,  given there's many potential solutions to any one given problem.   A map is just an array of 'graphics' blocks,  the usage of which are only limited by ones imagination.   You could use maps for purely display situations, collisions, both or none. 

Is it correct inserting a map to make a side-scrolling platform game, then put that map inside a world, and finally, put some background and other items in the world self (let's say decorators)?

[/quote]
--Alessandro

stevmjon

hello ale870

the help files that come with playbasic are very useful and cover a wide range.
> open the help files : click 'about' : from here click 'camera basics' , 'images' , 'maps' .
these explain the basics, and even have links to expand on the current topic.

regarding maps, once created, just use a camera to view your current position. also create tiles on different levels to view what is in front and what is behind, with your current backdrop image in the level that is furthest behind.
eg.  front tiles in level 2 , sprites in level 5 , back tiles in level 8 , backdrop in level 10 (give it same co-ordinates as the camera) etc.

you don't have to create a world. create a map , set levels , create camera , use scene buffer within do - loop to capture drawing commands.
worlds have their advantage & disadvantage. it depends what you want. the help files explain the difference.

hope this helps, it can be a little confusing when starting out.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.