News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

PNG alpha channel support

Started by Draco9898, October 18, 2005, 09:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco9898

Can we get alpha channel support for PNG type images?
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

BlinkOk

QuoteCan we get alpha channel support for PNG type images?
i second that motion! :)

Digital Awakening

I third it :)

While it's possible to be without the transparency in 8bit PNGs and GIFs just using a color as transparency it is quite convinient even in these formats. But the real usefull transparency can be found in the 24 and 32 bit PNGs, especially the 32bit format is wonderful.

So, what can you do with an 8bit alpha chanel? First of is the possiblility of creating antialiased images. Note how jaggy things like player characters are, with alpha chanel you can make the edge pixels slightly transparent and suddenly the player blends in naturally with the background.

Then comes all the fun you can have with transparent images. For example you could make an image with a solid window frame, an almost transparent glass and then add some shine to that glass that's somewhere between the frame and the glass. To do this in PB now requires at least 3 images each set at a different alpha. A nice shine however would have to be faded with per pixel transparency. Alpha chanels can be used for various things like ghosts, ice and making really nice HUDs.
Wisit my site at: DigitalAwakening.net

kevin

Without a being fully implemented in hardware, it'd a waste of effort.  Hence, alpha channel is a PBFX thing.

Update: AFX surfaces (FX surfaces with alpha channel) we're added in PB V1.48 (6/14th,Sep,2006)..