Main Menu

Aquarius

Started by Draco9898, August 04, 2007, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco9898

I don't know if it's appropriate, but I decided just to make a new topic about my game here.
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

Looks like you're making some inroads.    It'd be nice to see those environments implemented to spruce up the playfield

Draco9898

arrrgh
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

Now that's more like it :)

Draco9898

>

kevin

Looks like you got the chained objects working well.   Was thinking that it might be nice to have a linked object where you can destroy segments of it.  So the child objects can be destroyed separately, rather than being connected to the parent object.

Draco9898

"Ohhhh, pretty particle FX"... Or "Particles, smart-icles, we didn't have particles back in my day"

Created some particle emitters (which you CAN attach to sprites btw). These emit particles in hard coded patterns. Then I created the particles themselves, which just follow their own hard coded rules /animations based on their particle number and varibles such as velocity,acceleration.

These alpha particles are extremely fast as their read from my FX buffer screen instead of poo-poo video memory.

Logical errors are fun...Ok, maybe not so much...

I had this giant memory leak in my particles where it would just keep creating them and expanding the typed array indefinitely, not cool. Turns out I was modifying fields AFTER I called freecell. This of course screws up GetFreeCell which looks to see if a cell is empty before filling it...oops.

Another memory leak...you sure you don't have Alzheimer's?

found a sprite memory leak as it would do something similar to what my particles we're doing (above).

Draco9898

Yummy Yummy Hand-drawn Explosions

2 hours of pushing and tracking individual pixels gets you this:

Mere 17 18 frames of animation.

These things look sweet as animated particles created by emitters.
Did have some hiccups though, I accidentally made the images as hardware images instead fx images. This of course made the game grudge along, because as we all know rendering hardware images -> one giant Fx buffer = bad bad, errr..in other words, slllooow.

kevin

The new particle shots are looking pretty fine!   

QuoteTurns out I was modifying fields AFTER I called freecell.his of course screws up GetFreeCell which looks to see if a cell is empty before filling it...oops.

You can free a cell by writing a NULL to it.     It   Particles(index)=NULL   This will delete the existing instance (if any) at this position.  It's the same as going  FreeCell Particles(), Index     

Draco9898

Demo time- AQAURIUS v01b

the arrow keys for movement, M for shoot. Press enter to spawn serpent enemies. GO!

note- the first varible on the top of the screen is score, followed by frame rate then the size of various arrays (which should NOT increase over and over again for the same actions, I.E: 1 enemy is spawned and dies)

This should be smooth sailing on most modern computers.

Updates-
*Enemies now die in an awe inspiring array of blasts.
*Added dynamic TIMERS, forever looping and one-shot. I was sick of copy-pasting timer routines into everything. I'M FREE, I'M FREE!
*Bug fixes, Particle emitters were not freeing cells correctly.

Next- mapping, level editor, more enemies

Rembrandt Q Einstein

Good progress.  I was thinking it might have been more interesting for the snakes to shoot the 3 bullets based on the direction the head was going.  Not a hard change, but you'd also want to make sure the player was in the general direction before firing.

The snakes themselves are a great start for an enemy.  And support ships are always cool.

Draco9898

Simple mapping...My tileset in game looks like scrap  :-X

kevin

Draco9898

Aqua builder-
featuring my own hastily thrown together GUI. let's just call it "dragonGUI" for the heck of it.
The gui graphics are pre-rendered inside the program. It looks yummy.

This Gui screenshot was made using only a few function calls:

MyTray = Create_GuiTray(0,0,ScreenW#*2,28)
Create_GuiDropDown(70,MyTray,"File")
Create_GuiDropDown(70,MyTray,"Edit")
Create_GuiDropDown(90,MyTray,"This is cool")
Create_GuiDropDown(90,MyTray,"Ok, maybe not")
Create_GuiDropDown(150,MyTray,"This is a drop down")

Got it completely working as far as attaching the drop down menus to trays and pressing/depressing/cycling thru menus is concerned

kevin

Looks good, I assume it's for a level editor,  but i'd be careful getting overly distracted with the bit and bobs if it's tool just for you to use.