PlayBasic Version Numbers

Started by japh42, April 16, 2008, 03:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

japh42

Hi,
     I have installed v1.63c.  Looking around at the link to the awards PlayBasic has received, I decided to send a link to my nephew who has mentioned learning how to program.  I found a site that had v2.35.  And as I looked around, this seems to go back to 04. 

Which is best to try it out? Was that a different PlayBasic? ???

yoxola

japh42

Thanks!

Maybe I should switch to the LE version since I'm just learning myself?

Is this a 1.63 or 1.7x based version?

yoxola

Learning Edition = 1.63 version (DX3, runs on nearly all known Win32 system)
LE doesn't create EXE and can't use DLLs, but way enough for learning and no expire.

1.63 Retail can create stand alone EXE, use DLL libraries etc.

1.7X is the coming DX7 release, runs significantly faster on many aspects,
but remember it's stil under development, and Help files are under production.

kevin

QuoteI found a site that had v2.35.  And as I looked around, this seems to go back to 04.

Prior to publishing V1.00,  we released various pre-release Beta versions of the package.  These had sequential version numbers from V000 and went up to the around V250 or more.    Unfortunately,  since then we've moved sites, which means that some download sites still link to the where the old beta files used to be (and thus they assume it's different program).    Even though they doesn't exist anymore.  We've tried getting them removed or updated, but it's been a huge waste of time.

Anyway, yoxola is right on the money.

QuoteWhich is best to try it out? Was that a different PlayBasic?

Compared to current editions yes old betas are very different.   Really old beta's used a different IDE, different project format,  no doc's etc etc   

japh42

ok.  then I guess I'll delete the 2.35 I downloaded.

And, 1.63c is the last version before 1.7x comes out right?

japh42

I mean 1.62c, that's what I have installed.

yoxola

Did you purchased the retail version?
The current retail of 1.63 is v5, which has great improvement than 1.62 versions.

japh42

No, I'm on the 120 day trial.

I'm just about to look on the forums about upgrade policy.

Actually, I guess I might as well ask right here.

What happens if I buy the latest retail and then 1.7x comes out?

Upgrade fee? If so how much?

Also, if I buy a copy for my nephew, I assume that he'll then have to register under his name?

I ask this last one because I've bought some other software online and the purchaser in a few cases, is automatically registered as owner.

Big C.

QuoteWhat happens if I buy the latest retail and then 1.7x comes out?

In the moment nothing happens... you can upgrade to the latest version for free... V1.7x is under developing because its a "Jump-Version" from VM1 to VM2, DX3 to DX7 and more other changes...

QuoteAlso, if I buy a copy for my nephew, I assume that he'll then have to register under his name?
You will get a code to register... so you can make standalone EXEs under retail-version... No names needed...

kevin

QuoteWhat happens if I buy the latest retail and then 1.7x comes out?

It's already _freely_ available

QuoteUpgrade fee? If so how much?

Updates to PlayBasic are free.    However, that only covers updates.  Different editions of package are planned however, which would not be free. 

QuoteAlso, if I buy a copy for my nephew, I assume that he'll then have to register under his name?

Yes, We only offer a single user licenses.   So, each user needs their own registration/serial.