News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Problem patching PB V163w and above.

Started by medwayman, May 28, 2009, 08:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

medwayman

Hi, Im having trouble getting Play Basic to work properly on my new PC... PB starts up ok, and I have no problem loading code examples and running them, but when i try and open a new project the IDE freezes.   

My OS is Vista home Premium

Setup process:

1, Install V1089b Retail Setup then register my copy. Everything works fine at this stage.

2, Install V163m Retail Patch. Still no problems although i see this patch updates V1089(c) and i have (b)

3, Install V163w Retail Patch. Here's where the problem starts. I also noticed that PB starts up without a new project window open at this stage.

I also tried installing V164i and then PBFX V174 just to see what would happen but no luck.

Hope i can get this sorted as im eager to get back into PB and my XP machine is down for a while  :(

Thanks

Steve

kevin

No idea, you're possibly missing files from IDE updates.  So i've attached some folders that may not have existed back then, you know, erm 4 years ago.

medwayman

Thanks Kevin but no luck im afraid. I've already tried several reinstalls with no luck but will keep trying.

Thanks again

Steve

Edit: I can get around the problem by loading a code example, deleting the code, then saving the file to my project folder. That will do for now  :)

medwayman

Ok here's the latest...

Installing V1089b & V163m:

I get the usual "An unidentified programme wants to access your computer" when installing. If i launch from the installer PB starts up fine, although if i launch from the shortcut PB starts up but with no "Project1" default project window and i get "Destination folder access denied - you need to confirm this operation" The folder is "1" and was created 2 days ago?? As soon as i grant assess the "Project1" window opens and all is well. This didn't happen yesterday and i must have reinstalled PB 5-10 times

Installing V163w and above (where the problem starts):

I now get "open file security warning. The publisher could not be verified. are you sure you want to run this software?" I then get the "An unidentified programme wants to access your computer" warning. Now when i run PB i no longer get the "Destination folder access denied - you need to confirm this operation" warning and can not open a new project.

From that it looks to me like this is a Vista issue (maybe something i've done to mess it up). Maybe from V163w onwards i'm being denied access to folder "1" but not being given the opportunity to grant that access? But what's with this folder 1? I've only just started getting this. Is it a temp folder for Project1?

I'm not up to speed with vista but am going to look into file access and security. I'm sure i'll suss this eventually but any help would be appreciated :)

Steve

BTW. I think i first installed PB 2 days ago (when folder 1 was created). Is it possible there are files left after i uninstall that are affecting fresh installs of PB?

Edit: I have located and deleted all folder 1 and all other PB folders i could find but still have the same problem only now folder 1 was created today. Folder 1 is a PB temp folder so no problems there. This has to be a vista issue although i haven't changed any access settings... I'll come back to this later.

Edit2: It's now working! Only got the folder 1 access requests on V1089b & V163m. V163w no longer had the "open file security warning. The publisher could not be verified. are you sure you want to run this software?" warning and worked fine. V164i still had this warning although works fine.

Must have been something to do with the remaining files after uninstall?

Oh well it's all good now :) Sorry about all that lol

kevin

erm Vista :)  -  Every thing pre PB V1.63o isn't Vista friendly, vista didn't exist when Pb was designed and built so why would it be.    Vista & XP to lesser extent (under a user account) have strict rules regarding what applications installed to the "My Programs" folder can do.    So running old versions under those environments is pointless.  Unless you run from Admin account.   Since, PB likes to store data in the PB folder, and it can't since the OS blocks write access to it's own folder.

medwayman

Yeah im aware of potential problems with a new OS but all versions of PB seem to work fine under Vista. Ironically my problem only reared it's head when i installed the newer versions of PB :) Anyway, It's happened again! just after a set up my preferences. It seems the problem lies with the [Start With Default Project] option (for me anyway). It all makes sense now :) Twas only after i deleted ALL the PB folders that the Prefs were reset to default and PB started working again. With the Default Project unchecked the IDE crashes when attempting to open a new project window. Anyone else have this problem?