Let It Be , now released !! horse racing game

Started by micky4fun, May 17, 2012, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

long time no see , will comment on other post asap ,

but heres a little simple horse racing game i have knocked up over the last 2 days , just the early stages , nothing fantasic but just a bit of fun

video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Emf9xrhksU

race is 1 and a half laps

very late here , so see you soon
mick  :)

BlinkOk

haha. looks sweet mick. nice work mate!
ps: i saw this one the other day

ATLUS

Sigtrygg

monkeybot

nice to see you back Micky.

BlinkOk that dog racing game is ace!

micky4fun

Hi All

yep BlinkOk , that dog game plays quite well , but not easy thats for shure , will have to see if i can grab that track for myself , and starting gates

yep i seem to wonder a bit monkeybot , but hopefully back for a while , thing with this program you soon come back for more

well its not that easy to tie in all the speed ups and slow down of horses to make game interesting , as was only a bit of fun , just place bets and watch a random race
still quite a few graphics bits to do , starting gate , background , winning post etc , and betting screen , ie winner and forcast , but will do all in time
anyway here is a little demo to play with , horses will run around 1 and a half laps and stop back at start , just press mousebutton 1 to restart another race or same race

mick :)

BlinkOk

hey mick.
i don't think it's as difficult as it looks. the only real area where it could be difficult is the NPC dogs. but you could simplify that just by recording it one time when you drive it around the track.
so you could have recordings for each NPC on each track. there is no player or NPC collision except for the walls/obstacles. just my 2c.
would you like me to mock something up?
thanks
blink

micky4fun

Hi All

ok BlinkOk , see what you mean , i have just loaded up Kevin's PathBasedObjectMovement code , seems this is what i might need to record the paths of the other dogs , not unless there an easier way maybe ?
so i will look through the code and i can use the program to record the path's and then just just a bit that loads the code to play it back when needed ,
i am out to this evening , so i will start then , sure if i get stuck Kevin might jump in and help me , think this coding needs to be learn't anyway will come in handy in the future ,
so yes if you have some spare time and what to knock something up then thats fine , we will give it a bash

BlinkOk

for me i would just record the keystrokes in an array and play them back. even if a race lasts a minute you only have (at 60fps) 60x60 (3600) elements (which compressed would be far less). then you could just plug them back into the NPC at game time

micky4fun

Hi all

right see what you mean blinkOk , i will give it a go tonight

micky4fun

Hi all

ok had quick try on ai for one horse , think you get the gist of it as the demo shows horse 8 going all over the track , just need to get the ai path a little less erratic , but will work on that, yep BlinkOk it take about 3600 for each x and y for 1 and a half laps , so a 1 lap would be less

this is a rolling demo

ATLUS

micky4fun, nice demo! What will we do in complete game? bets? =)

BlinkOk

looks good mick. so that was the keystroke recorder version or the AI version?

BlinkOk

ok here is my feeble attempt at a horse. i'm no good at the small sprites.

one of my favorite films of all time is "let it ride" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097731/. if you haven't seen it you should check it out
it's just a funny movie, even if your not into horse racing.

i thought maybe we could do this;
call it "let it ride" (after the movie)
exactly the same game play as the dog race one except we have three tracks; country, small town and city.
you choose your horse at the start and stick with it until you win/loose.
so you make a bet and then race; say 4 races per track (12 races in all)
minimum bet goes up and the opponents get faster as the tracks progress.

ps: it's a two horse race! (a little better)

micky4fun

Hi all

Quotelooks good mick. so that was the keystroke recorder version or the AI version?
no i just got the horse to follow the mouse in this version , but i will do a keystroke version as well to see how they compare, see which is the smoother moving one

the horse's look good to me , the idea of the game sounds fine to ,  i will try and watch that film as it sounds like one of my type of films , will see if my mate has it in he's dvd shop
QuoteWhat will we do in complete game? bets? =)
thanks ATLUS , yep there will be

ok will try a few more things out today