Let It Be , now released !! horse racing game

Started by micky4fun, May 17, 2012, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlinkOk

ok no worries mick. if it's not working right off the bat it is probably not worth pursuing.
i got delayed with the updates. will try to get something to you today

BlinkOk

ok sent some stuff. i thought the layout could look a little like this. with the horse/bet down the bottom left. i added an outline around the horses and made them slightly smaller. still not sure about the crowd
they look a little zombie like. what do you think?

micky4fun

hi all

Yep got other gfx's thanks blinkOk , horses look good , crowd looks ok , cant really think of anything else you could do apart a packed grandstand , but this is ok though , will put stalls in tonight hopefully ,
well ashame you cant do the user interface due to the pbflash ,maybe just a small bug that could be easy sorted ?, i was looking forward to that , think it would have made the game stand out ,

well one of the hardest courses to get around ive seen lol

mick :)

kevin

Mick,

Had a go at your last demo and it's looking pretty good.     In this type of game, is  one of those situations where you really should look into using the vector collision or at least shapes to create the collision mask.    With vector / world collision you can use sliding sliding mode that's built into the sprite system.    It just means creating outlines for the hard objects in the scene.  Like the track railing or any barriers that might be placed around the track.   So these are drawn (line by line) and captured to the world, then collision is run against that.  Alternatively,  you can create vector shapes that represent the hardware edges then drawn those out to form a collision mask image.  This offers one big benefit in that we no longer have to draw the masks for each level, since they can be drawn inside the program..  Reducing not only the in memory footprint, but the 'on disc' foot print also.  

For the actual sprites in the scene, i'd be using the Z value to sort the characters upon their screen height.  You could probably get away with just setting the sprites Z to that of it's inverted screen Y position. So the lower down the screen, the lower the depth of the sprite, meaning it'll render in the foreground of something above it.   The shadows would need to drawn in a prepass though. So a character infront of another doesn't shadow  on top of it..   There's an example over here.   Vertical Sprite Depth Ordering

Here's a quick mock up of using shape to create the mask.

micky4fun

Hi all

thanks for info and demo Kevin , i have been aving a little muck around with it
at the moment i have done this level one demo with your horse needed to be steered around , this is by no way the final first track just seeing how it plays , dont know if it has to many horses or not
also needed is some things that slow you down , some bonus items or speed ups maybe , anyway here is a general feel

later demo below

BlinkOk

just on that flash thingy mick. the idea is that you click on the different club names and the playbasic program can detect which club your selecting (top left).
is that whats happening for you?

micky4fun

Hi all

Quotejust on that flash thingy mick. the idea is that you click on the different club names and the playbasic program can detect which club your selecting (top left).
yep that works ok , but i cannot exit the program , and the arrow keys are supposed to toggle the flash screen , but they do nothing

did a fair bit yesterday , will post later tonight as off out now

BlinkOk

i have 1.64l and the up/down arrows work ok (hide/show flash screen)
if we can get it to work i can handle all the GUI stuff for you

micky4fun

hi all

Quoteif we can get it to work i can handle all the GUI stuff for you
well that would be great , i know it would be a good job much better than my effort , im using 1.64n so it could be just a simple fix , wonder if Kevin knows why it works ok in 1.64l and not 1.64m and 1.64 n
hopefully this will be sorted out ,

thanks for the latest demo's that you have put up kevin , i have had a good look at these as well

anyway in the mean time i have done this so far as time went so fast today , but i will hang on a bit to see if the pbflash can be sorted out for us,
as normal spacebar resets game

i will release the souce code towards end of game as it is always changing at the moment

BlinkOk

i just tried it with 1.64n and it doesn't work. something between l and n has stuffed it up.
so much for making games easier to make huh?

micky4fun

Hi all

Quotei just tried it with 1.64n and it doesn't work. something between l and n has stuffed it up.
ok it aint just me then , the club selection works ok , it could just be a keyboard input thing ?

BlinkOk

yeah.
also the game window starts minimized (in l & n) and i need to start it twice (F5) before it gains focus.

micky4fun

Hi all

I notice that the library is 6 years old , maybe that's why , wondering Kevin  if there could be an update as its so old?

Mick

Big C.

Hello,

the flash problem sounds interesting to me... is there any example with code maybe?

micky4fun

hi all

Quotethe flash problem sounds interesting to me... is there any example with code maybe?
here is a link to the thread , hope this is what you are looking for Big C.
(login required)