Draco's Tale...

Started by Draco9898, September 19, 2005, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Calypson,

QuoteYeah, sure. I'll see if i can find the time to do it. It might take a while for it to actually get done, but i'll try.

Cool, although I didn't mean that you should go out of your way a write a whole new tut on walk anims.   Just quickly edit up what you posted above (perhaps making it more generic), would be a help to a lot of artists.

tomazmb

Hello,

I find this tutorial from Calypson very helpful. I hope I can see more of his work in the future because I find 2D art more demanding as 3D art (you need a better talent for drawing).

Have a nice day,

Tomaz
My computer specification:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
MB ASUS K8V Socket 754 VIA K8T800
SB Audigy 2
3 GB RAM DDR 400 MHz PQI
AGP NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 256 MB-Club 3D
Windows XP Pro SP2
DirectX 9.0c

edvella

I have a little comment to make about also considering the game context while drawing the sprites.

For example as a stand alone animation, Calypson's character looks much better, especially the fluid animation (it is spot on in fact). However, I feel that he has strayed out from the subject matter. While Draco's character was a medieval knight in shining armour, it ended up as a futuristic space marine in Calypson's hands.

So if it was for me, I'd still choose the original character if the theme of the game was a knight running around in a forest.

Having said this, I wish both of you guys to keep up the good work that you are doing!
Edward Vella
Syntax Rebels

Draco9898

QuoteI have a little comment to make about also considering the game context while drawing the sprites.

For example as a stand alone animation, Calypson's character looks much better, especially the fluid animation (it is spot on in fact). However, I feel that he has strayed out from the subject matter. While Draco's character was a medieval knight in shining armour, it ended up as a futuristic space marine in Calypson's hands.

So if it was for me, I'd still choose the original character if the theme of the game was a knight running around in a forest.

Having said this, I wish both of you guys to keep up the good work that you are doing!

Hey thanks.

Anyways, I reworked my guy and came up with this:
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

Draco9898

Stumpy Monster:

DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

BlinkOk

servogod85

QuoteWhat I'm most concerned about is the lack of music, as I have barely any musical talent, despite reading a musical thoery book from cover to cover.  I'm thinking about asking this one person I know who'd be excellent, but I don't think he'd do it for free.

Listen, I don't want to be pessimistic, but you are right. BUT... I thikn i can load up some free music I got from my Dark Basic Media, and I am sure this game is for fun and a little MIDI music won't kill the Company if you use them. Do you mind If I can load some on the forum? I mea is it possible, and would you want them? Always glad to help

Sal

Draco9898

QuoteListen, I don't want to be pessimistic, but you are right. BUT... I thikn i can load up some free music I got from my Dark Basic Media, and I am sure this game is for fun and a little MIDI music won't kill the Company if you use them. Do you mind If I can load some on the forum? I mea is it possible, and would you want them? Always glad to help

Sal

Nah, it's ok. I'll figure something out. I'm doing to have complete OGG tracks one way or another. And i'll utilize my super synth in some way. I'm really worrying about the gameplay at this point. I don't want it to be another run-of-the-mill platformer, yet I'm stumped for ideas at this point.

servogod85

I wish I could help,  :(  :unsure: but I am almsot done with my tic tac toe game and you'll see how much I stink. Calypson's animation tip was great and  I hope he makes his generic tutorial, I could really use some help...and I would like to be able to help others and make like you know, a PB team that could win Compos and stuff. But you have my admiration for you game. Keep up the good work!

:) Sal

2dman

I downloaded the demo but I'm a little concerned about the frame rate. On another forum you posted you were getting frame rates around 200-300 or so, but on my machine:

Windows XP
DirectX 9
2.9ghz HP Pavillion (yah I know, but still...)

The demo can't be running more than 15-20 fps, at the most. So I just wanted to give you a heads up you should test the app with lower spec machines so you don't require something toooo extreme to run it.

Looking good though, lose the idea of making music and finish the game! Use blocks for graphics and beeps for sounds if you have to, plug the candy in later!!!!

Draco9898

You have a 3d card by chance?  :rolleyes: Probably what's killing it...I'm not doing anything too extreme I'd imagine.

2dman

QuoteYou have a 3d card by chance?  :rolleyes: Probably what's killing it...I'm not doing anything too extreme I'd imagine.

On board Intel Extreme Graphics. Which is supposed to be the most popular installed graphics board in the world today. ;)

Draco9898

There's the problem, I don't think those are so hot when your trying to do tons of 2d stuff. I have a Geforce FX 5600.

2dman

QuoteThere's the problem, I don't think those are so hot when your trying to do tons of 2d stuff. I have a Geforce FX 5600.

hmm.. well, not really, here's the "bigger" problem. Those onboard graphics cards are very popular and represent the exact target customer who is probably going to want to play our Playbasic games. And they won't have a "Geforce FX 5600".

And the people that DO have these high end cards are not going to pay anything for a 2D game, unless it is simply amazing. (Mutant Storm anyone?) :)

If you plan on making money developing "casual games for the 2D market" you should start testing your apps on a much lower spec machine.