Main Menu

For Foxes Sake WIP

Started by micky4fun, August 19, 2012, 03:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

yep, saving them as 32bit should do it.  

micky4fun

hi all ,

was having a few problems but think i have sussed one out , so i have cleared this message and will get back asap
and continue

yep sussed one problem out , yesterday went so quick , got stuck for a while on one thing and other , no hair left now , anyway been stuck on the water effect for a ages , i was going to use tiles in the map , but as its at the front of screen and staying there all game , i tought i do the drawalphaimage but it slow the game right down , i then made an fx image to render the game gfx's to but it was not right , kept displaying wrong and was slow anyway , as im using the map commands not sure where the rendertoimage and rendertoscreen and drawimage commands go in program , or even thats the way to go
for the moment i have use a sprite , tried the drawalphasprite but same issues as well drawalphaimage , so proberly really simple , so if some one can help and maybe pop it into where it should go that will save loads of time for me

BlinkOk as you can see with demo , the background image bg2 needs some sky added to it or shall i just ad a blue to it , i have my image behind it at moment, think i need to lift it up a bit as well
also as you can see think i need a extra fence one before painting and one after , thought that watering some flowers as well , once watered they grow ,
will need creatures that fox has to avoid on platforms as well
the water is running fast as the moment will slow it down later
at the moment i have not added fox with brush animations or jump/land frames but will do
also the boulder needs to be bigger all round as the fox hovers over the right hand side of it as im using the checkmapimpact command
thanks BlinkOk

ps wanted to ad , i have used my first function command , as last
mick :)

BlinkOk

ok all sounds cool mick.
looking at the demo i don't think you need transparency on the water. i think it looks ok as is.
if you go back to my fist post, i posted and update for the bg2 image that has a sky
no worries on the npc's and flowers. i'll get onto it
i'll fix the boulders as well.
i'll make something for the painting fences too.
using functions will revolutionize the way you program mick. you can start making things really modular and not have to worry about the entire program when solving simple problems. congratz

just a thought but if you make the tile editor fairly easy to use and understand you could post it and people from the forum could create levels for the game. first we need
to sort out all the game play, NPCs and tiles though.

ps: i attached a 32 bit water animation if you still wanna muck around with transparency and the bg2 image

micky4fun

Hi all

yep thanks blinkOk , i forgot about the new bg2 , yep that works fine
ok hopefully Kevin might get the water transparency done for me , must be straight forward ,
yes will try and make the map editor staright forward to use , at the moment using 2 level within map , main walking level ie platforms and other for backgrounds ie paint brush coins and main body of platforms so fox can walk in front of them

BlinkOk

try setting spritedrawmode to 4 and then spritealphalevel to 0.5 (for transparency).
i'm poking around the doco for tiles mapping atm. just trying to make the gfx fit into that model.
*EDIT* you're right! it's mind bendingly slow. let me tinker some more

micky4fun

hi all

Quote*EDIT* you're right! it's mind bendingly slow. let me tinker some more
yep i need to create and fx image the render to that then render to screen and draw that image , can easy do this normally , but with drawmaps and sprites and other commands i dont really understand even reading about them all day and trying demos in demo folder i cannot for the life of me get it right , spent all day on this , so had little time to do graphics conversion to my gfx map gfx's
then run into problems with my map editor its running so slow as i added more sprites at top of screen , i dont know why as i hace had 1000 sprites running on the platform game program bouncing all over the screen and it runs full speed , and 84 sprites on map editor as grind it to 13fps , yet it looks like i have done it the same as my game , anyway got a bout 30 mins to do this little demo , still gold blocks clouds and other small bits missing , its just a 3 screen size little demo , still have jump and water and other bits to muck bout with , no enimies yet either

so demo and map editor below

ps would be good to get map editor running full speed as i think i going to need 3 or 4 levels with a map to get every thing in , also going to be quite a long level , i know its rather basic , but thats all i could do im affraid !

BlinkOk

mick that is absolutely bloody fantastic! luv it
don't worry about the transparency it looks fine the way it is.
i might try to render it as a tile.

looking at the implementation of tile management it might be best to make EVERYTHING a tile (even the trees) what do you think?

ps: i dont see the tile editor

micky4fun

Hi all

Quoteps: i dont see the tile editor
its map editor right below the platform file ,
yeh its coming along , shame i wasted a day on the water and tring to see why map editor dont run full speed ,
yep i have put trees as a tile , so all tiles would save me time cutting and pasting

thanks for your efforts blinkOk

BlinkOk

couple questions;
1. is there a reason the tiles have a transparent color of black?
2. how do you overlay tiles like when a platform edge has another platform behind it?

kevin

Quotethen run into problems with my map editor its running so slow as i added more sprites at top of screen , i dont know why as i hace had 1000 sprites running on the platform game program bouncing all over the screen and it runs full speed

you're trying to rotate sprites with video memory images..

ie.

; load image directly into graphics cards video memory.
  loadimage "feeler.bmp",1

then later on the sprites are set to 'rotated' rather than blitter mode (none rotated)

for a=1 to image_width*3
          tiles(a).sprite=getfreesprite()
          createsprite tiles(a).sprite
          spritedrawmode tiles(a).sprite,2     ; Here you're telling the sprite engine to use the rotation when drawing this sprite
          spritecollisionclass tiles(a).sprite,2
          spritecollisionmode tiles(a).sprite,6
      next a

Rotation (texture mapping)  is implemented by CPU, it can't read video memory at anywhere the same speed as system memory (20->30 times slower).   See -> Economizing Image Blitting (drawing!)

micky4fun

hi all

Quoteis there a reason the tiles have a transparent colour of black
yes because im stupid , i left the MakeMapGFX MyMAP,main_tiles,64,64,image_width*3,rgb(255,255,255) as black as transparent , did not think of changing the rbg to 255,0,255
i have done so now , kinda skipped this somehow , no brains , lol

Quotehow do you overlay tiles like when a platform edge has another platform behind it?
i have 2 levels in the map at moment , they are mylevel3 this is forground tile screen and mylevel5 the background tile screen , v3.txt and v5.txt
if you load these in map editor , v3 or v5 you will see how i have done it , but think im going to need 3 or 4 levels in the end so fence can be in front of trees or other rocks as well etc

Quoteyou're trying to rotate sprites with video memory images..
derr , did not even know i did this , how many times did i read through program and did not even see it in the program,
yep i know that rotating video memory or blending images will slow program right down without using a fximage and even rendering to a fximage then render that image to screen
now i may run into problems if i want to rotate some sprite in the platform game ,

Kevin i did have a look at your Platform Game Movement Based on Ray Intersection but im affraid it looks beyond me , so i will stick to the way im doing it as im just about getting away with this

ps here is the map editor running full speed now

haha , i can see what i should have done if i wanted to keep the spritedrawmode to rotated , after grabbing the images getimage i must then preparefximage
now runs at full speed even when left as rotated , i have took the rotate mode out as not needed

this also works fine in the platform game if have the waves as rotated the program runs fine , but if i use spritedrawmode 4 alpha still very slow , looking at examples and reading about alpha draw mode
i know i have to render the backgrounds and map to a fx image then draw the wave sprites on top of that image the draw the fx image to screen , but its still painfully slow
so dont know what i am doing wrong , anyway as you say BlinkOK think the waves proberly look better as they are , but would be good to know how it should be done as in this game for future projects

ok last day off today then i have 5 days long shifts at work , so hopefully wont waste today

mick ;D

Sigtrygg

Hello Mick!

I had a look at your new platformer game-demo.
It is fantastic! Congratulations!  :)
It works great and it is very funny! I hope you
find time to work further with that game.

Sigtrygg

micky4fun

Hi all

Yes thanks Sigtrygg , well mainly thanks to BlinkOk with he's superb graphics , the graphics here fit the game so well
well im trying my best to get this game running and playing as well as i can  , but sure someone else could easy convert it to run even better , level design is going to be a big part of it i think

im trying to put in as much time as possible to do this game without the other half leaving me lol , oh and a bus hitting my car today did not help , had to that out
well to get the images overlayed as below pic, i will be using 4 levels within the map
level 1 " front level , platform , boulders, the platform the fox walks along"
level 2 " trees , this sit behind platform level"
level 3 " fence , sits behind both tree and platform levels
level 4 " rocks , ie mud part sits behind all levels , give the feeling that the mud backs and levels are full of mud etc"

think that will do it

micky4fun

Hi all

BlinkOk , just trying bits and bobs , just wondering roughly how many screens long the game should be ? ,
so far main objectives are
#1 getting paint brush and painting fence
#2 getting watering can watering flowers
#3 collecting coins for points etc
#4 picking up carrots for points etc

maybe 1 or 2 more , ie collecting rubbish , dont know how i am going to that one at the moment , but i will try and pick it up as i go along , sorry could not resist ,
or cutting hedge or mowing grass , some thing along them lines
doing this while avoiding baddies ,
will try a few moving platforms as well if i can or suit game maybe ?

BlinkOk

ok that all sounds good.
so the general idea is it's messy and you have to clean it up.
moving platforms sounds good
ps: sorry bout the missus and the bus ;-)