For Foxes Sake WIP

Started by micky4fun, August 19, 2012, 03:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

yep BlinkOk lol no worries but nice red marks on car  , yep just some litter here and there , just something else to pick up ,
will try a moving platform tomorrow if i get time at work , but the next 3 days after im really tired down ,
today i did a little bit of tiding up and re-labeling of game so its a bit easier to follow ,
i have included a demo here of how the levels will be done ,
as you will see there are 4 levels to the map
you can use the level editor to edit your own , to load my levels just run editor and then at promp press y to load level , the levels are
platform , trees , mud , fences
and to save adjustments press space and then enter name and the enter , then just copy the file created to the folder that the platformerv2 folder
there are a few exceptions to where some platforms can go , so a little cheating on the platform level layout is required

kevin

Mick,

Looks & plays well,  but why on earth edit and store the layers separately ?  Doesn't seem very practical to me.   What I would assume you'd do, is edit them in parallel ( have a layer toggle in the editor).   It could handy to name the layers also, so when dumping the file to disc, just dump the Width, Height fields and then the name, then all the tiles in the first layer.. then all the tiles in the second layer etc.   If a layers not in use, just set it's width/height to -1 or something so the loader can simply skip it.

This would allow the loader/saving to be smart about they're doing.  If there's 5 layers say, you can just use levels from 1 to 5 as the layers.  With say the middle layer being the game play layer.   Although commonly there's a collision map layer, separate from the display layer.   But you can probably get away with it.   Since all the layers would line up, you can clip the backdrop blocks out of view  when the foreground tile is solid.

ATLUS

better and better, well done micky4fun and BlinkOk

micky4fun

hi all

BlinkOk
had a little time to muck about with a moving platforms , here we have 4 moving in a circle , still a little tinkering to tighten it all up , but you get the gist , i know paintbrush move down while on platform , but going to use fox with paintbrush image so have no bothered to correct this

just wondering what u think , is worth having the platforms here and there or just stick as it is
Quotebut why on earth edit and store the layers separately ?  Doesn't seem very practical to me.   What I would assume you'd do, is edit them in parallel ( have a layer toggle in the editor).  
just started the simple and quick way , will try and edit the map editor when i get some spare time as if i know how , so it loads and toggles the levels as you say , as yes seems the easy way to do layout of game ,

thanks ATLUS  , using your 2d orbit snippit again lol

mick :)

BlinkOk

ok no worries mick.
my daughter is in her netball grand final saturday (go sunbeams!). so that's me forked for the weekend as far as this is concerned.
the moving platforms is awesome. especially moving in circles. great job.
i played a demo of this today so i am totally loaded with ides for power ups, enemies etc.
cya when i'm holding the champions trophy :-D

micky4fun

Hi all

yep no worries blinkOK ,im pretty busy at work these next few days anyway ,
well wish your daughter good luck saturday at netball hope that trophy comes he way,

BlinkOk

the girls were beaten 37-22.
my daughter had a very good game.
all round it was a great effort and a very good game to watch.
we'll be eating lollies and watching movies all day to commiserate i think

micky4fun

Hi all

Thats ashame , hope all or you was not to disapointed , still great achievement getting to final.
I played bunny land and its quite a good little game , i will try and get the map editor working as Kevin said with any spare time this weekend
but work becons at the moment ,

ps , well done that it 20 mins , a bit messy so will tidy it up later , but multi level editor and one output file now done!
Great idea from Kevin , one that even i could manage without to much hassle !

stevmjon

hey micky4fun

this is starting to look really cool.  i've never used animated tiles before. i learnt something new.
i am going to have to lift my game now, and release a just as cool demo.
blinkok is a natural at comming up with graphics.

looking forward to seeing your progress, stevmjon.
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

micky4fun

hi all

Quotethis is starting to look really cool.  i've never used animated tiles before. i learnt something new.
i am going to have to lift my game now, and release a just as cool demo.
blinkok is a natural at comming up with graphics
yep thanks stevmjon its getting there , hope you get back into your platform game real soon , looking forward to seeing demo up on forum , well yet again ive been very lucky with blinkOk jumping on board , hes certainly very talented

well heres another little demo , still a few things to iron out in this demo , wont go to far as i will wait for blinkOk ideas powerups and baddies so i can get them in game , but gives a feel of the moving platforms and a few baddies about on grass , they cant kill you yet and you cant kill them either yet ,

ATLUS  your 2d orbit code is controlling all platforms and baddies ,

mick ;D

BlinkOk

snails! good idea mick. i did a dog and a hunter (he shoots). gotta get my finger out and get this stuff done today

micky4fun

Hi all

Quote. i did a dog and a hunter (he shoots). gotta get my finger out and get this stuff done today
sounds good to me , no rush , im still tinkering around with stuff anyway , got the 2 bugs in game sorted out tonight so all runs as it should , some of the enimies will run along bottom main walk way and fall in river once they come to it , maybe some mystery coins that change into steps to get other stuff  , main thing now i think is the level layout once we have all the pieces to game ,
anyway , ile tinker about a bit for time being , all good fun

snails from treasure hunt game , they were getting bored there , lol , think i will return to that game later now i know a bit more about the maps and see if i can get it to control better ,

BlinkOk

dog & snail. workin on hunter. i have done the fences too
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1348120049

micky4fun

Hi all

dog and snail look great , love the snail , look forward to the rest , first class job

micky4fun

Hi all

just starting to get the levels together , so i have kinda guessed a level at 10 screens across , going to try and put some kind of easy puzzles into the levels, heres the first i have only done 2 screens of the 10 screens so far and will continue this today , i have not put in my snails yet as will do that later when i get the snails , dog , gamekeeper off of BlinkOk as they are animated ,
but just to see if you think this is the way to go or not , so no prizes but find the brush to paint fences ,
wa so tempted to put fish jumping out of water as you cross , but how many times as that been done!
ahh maybe as they turn back to go into water then use them as a stepping stone to get to other side instead of bridge?