TOTALLY FINAL VERSION of A.S.S. no more updates...ever

Started by monkeybot, February 11, 2008, 10:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeybot

Can someone give me a bit of feedback as to speed and buggyness  of the game please

AHHH this is it 17/3/08
changed from TTF fonts to bitmap and am doing nothing else..........

http://monkeybotmonkeybot.tripod.com/

files on my website

AVIExtractorV1.zip this is an gfx app i wrote a couple of years ago,might be useful to proggers

galaxians rip off game thing is a space invaders/galaxians clone written in PB

i got Playbasic a couple of month or so ago and this is my first game on it.nice one Kevin PB seems very good so far,much better than certain other basic implementations that shall go unnamed.

if anyone wants to lend their graphics skill for any future games i would be most welcoming because i am crap at it.

check the acapella sound effects

Cheers

Adaz

"This file is hosted by Tripod, a LycosŽNetwork Site, and is not available for download. We prohibit downloading of certain file types to protect visitors from computer viruses. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information."

Ádáz

Hungary

monkeybot

Adaz

Very good work! What a retro feeling! :)

Please use FX images or Kevin's solution http://www.underwaredesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=1767.msg12706#new because the images become corrupted if somebody presses Alt Tab.

Ádáz

Hungary

monkeybot

Big C.

yes, a very nice game example... but why is it so slow  ??? If I do repeating fire I get a line with shoots overall the screen in several directions... so i can kill the aliens faster and didn't have to wait and drinking couples of coffee  ;D

monkeybot

hmmm thats strange,it runs fine on my computer,i am using a time latch for the bullet firing routine,so if its running really slowly you will get  loads of bullets.

whats the spec on your computer?

Have you got the latest GFX drivers?

ummm...... anyone else having a similar problem?

cheers

Big C.

I use a Nvidia 8600 GT with 512 MB (with the newest driver) from Asus on a AMD 3500+ based Board also from Asus... I want let u know that the whole game is on my pc very slow... and not only the bullets..

hmmm... After I've end your game and i want to delete the release folder where I start your game i got a problem with deleting the font digitek.ttf...  There is some process on it which block my deleting request... I can't better discribe the behavior... If I try deleting later (after waiting for 30 min or if i restart my pc), the font is deleting without problems...

reno

It's because the font is loaded into Windows's system. You can only delete it after rebooting. You are able to load a font in any folder with PB1.6X, but not with 1.7X : you can just use fonts who are in the Windows's font folder.
More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

Big C.

Monkey,

i'm using win xp with the latest servicepack...

And I want u to know that the following comment from Reno isn't true...
QuoteYou can only delete it after rebooting.

Yesterday I've tinker with your game... After that I couldn't delete the fonts... so i've doing some job on my PC for a while without rebooting. I thing after 3-4 hours I tried it again and what prodigy I could delete the last folder with all fonts... I don't know why...

If I played with some ttf fonts in my projects i didn't have these problems. It seems there are some process on it which will free after some time or so. Do you have some clean up rows in your program after ending the game-loop like DeleteFont, DeleteAllSprites, UnDimAll and so on?

monkeybot

mm actually no i havn't got any cleanup procs,i will put them in and hopefully it will work a bit better,i have not had any other reports of slow running from anyone else,which seems odd.

kevin

QuoteDeleteFont, DeleteAllSprites, UnDimAll

This is not Not necessary.  The runtime memory manager releases all allocations upon close automatically.

monkeybot

ahh cool,so then kevin have you any idea why this might be happening to Big C?

kevin

Well, if you're drawing video images (the default type) then there's a few causes that come to mind. 

* the driver might chokes on buffer lock/unlocks

* 8000 levels cards no longer have a fixed function pipeline,  as such they may have also removed the 'blittler' and replaced it with a cpu (bad) & or gpu(shader) level blit support.   In other words the direct draw divers are probably awful! 

* card/driver doesn't support Async rendering.  Which it wouldn't if the blitter no longer has hardware accel.

What you could do is try using FX formatted images.  I.e. LoadFXImage Filename.