News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

playbasic 1.7x+ shinanigins

Started by Draco9898, October 01, 2007, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco9898

Wanted to help find any bugs and what not and try some 3d stuff. I feel like posting screens even if they aren't impressive or make much ( if any ) sense.

I think I'm going to make a 3d rpg battle system (for fun). Ala star ocean 2 on psx. Of course I'm only probably going to be able to take it so far before it turns into 3 million pounds of work.

I haven't had much time to play with programming stuff as I'm studying music composition (and not making too much progress to boot!). Oh well..

1. bouncing "hello world" text+3d sprite+random block mapping. Is there any kind of filtering that you can apply to poor blocky/muddy sprites like mine to make them look pixel perfect or remove the horrible blocky texture thing going on?
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

Quote1. bouncing "hello world" text+3d sprite+random block mapping. Is there any kind of filtering that you can apply to poor blocky/muddy sprites like mine to make them look pixel perfect or remove the horrible blocky texture thing going on?

Post the code !

Draco9898

here-
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

All 3d rendering is bilinear filtered.  So if you rotate/scale an image up, this will 'smudge' the pixel to smooth the result and vice versa with scaling down.  If you disable filtering, then you'll loose pixels.   It'll look the same (give or take) as an FX image.    You can test this yourself just changing the line    LOAD3DIMAGE "image2.png",1  to    LOADFXIMAGE "image2.png",1   

Draco9898

Kevin's video feedback effect with pers. sprite, text.

Kevin, is there a way to change the filtering on the texture of a sprite to some other type of filtering? If not whats the command to remove bi-lin filtering on a sprite?

I think I'm going to try creating a single sprite matrix like you did in one of the demoes, despite I don't get the code.

kevin

Atm, there's no way to change disable filtering. 

Draco9898

Hey, I must be forgetting something, but I'm trying to do a 1+16 inkmode, 0.1 alpha box, but it's sending the FPS to...well...rock bottom. What are the rules for having something done on hardware when you're doing such alpha stuff? I know it's insanely fast when you do it right.

kevin

Most of the 2D functions don't have direct 3D acceleration.   More over,  In terms of the 3D device, it only works with the screen.

Do
Cls 255
centerText 400,300,"Hello World"
abox 0,0,800,600,$ff0000
sync
loop

Function Abox(x1,y1,x2,y2,Thiscolour)
inkmode 1+32
tric x1,y1,x2,y1,x2,y2,Thiscolour
tric x1,y1,x2,y2,x1,y2,Thiscolour
inkmode 1
EndFunction

Draco9898

Ok, so obviously polygons are always 3d accelerated, got it. ...Another question: If I do a 3d terrain with a sprite, how could I implement culling to shave off a few frame per second of rending time?

kevin

QuoteOk, so obviously polygons are always 3d accelerated, got it
No, only when rendering to the screen.

QuoteAnother question: If I do a 3d terrain with a sprite, how could I implement culling to shave off a few frame per second of rending time?

It already is.