Main Menu

SokoBan PB

Started by Ian Price, May 08, 2006, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I've been so busy lately what with holidays, work and assisting with the RR comp that I haven't actually done a lot on Toxic (or the other levels for this one actually).

If I get my arse into gear I should be able to get it finished soon, jusst not as soon as I had originally hoped though :(

It's not a great leap over the version here; just a graphical makeover really (including a slight perspective change). The levels even use the same data as this version.
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

DavidGervais

Hello, Ian

I tried to download your sokoban PB but all that happens is my browser opens a window full of garbled text. I was gonna offer you some custom graphics, since I have always been a big fan of  sokoban type games. Oh well, perhaps if you give me the specs on the tile sizes and what elements you need I could throw something together anyways.

Let me know what's next. Cheers! :)
I'm a Fan, Are You?

Ian Price

Due to forum glitches the original attachments don't work anymore (hence the garbled text). Thanks for letting me know. I've now upped it to my site - download available HERE 703Kb.

I won't need any graphics for this game (many thanks for the offer), as other than levels, I don't intend to update this further, as I will have a better version soon, although if you want to do something, then be my guest. :)

All images are 32x32 pixels, as can be seen in the download - just keep the same images in the same positions (or if needs be I can add extras and jiggle the code a bit).

Maybe you'd like to help with the graphics for the update?

Cheers :)

DavidGervais

QuoteMaybe you'd like to help with the graphics for the update?

Cheers :)

Hmmm, I could be persuaded,.. again I'd need info on size/type and any 'special' tiles like teleporters, mines, traps etc. (not that sokoban has those but an 'updated' version based on the original could always expand on the concept.)

Cheers! :)
I'm a Fan, Are You?

Ian Price

There'e nothing special about it - it's exactly the same game that we all know and love, it's just the perspective that's changed slightly (looking down from above, at an angle so that certain objects are slightly obscured by those in front).

I've got rough models working already, but I'm a bit busy with a couple of other games at the moment (although they should both be finished in the next couple of days (all being well and good!)). I'll get back to you. :)

DavidGervais

Ok, here are 2 alternate Tilesets, First a King Tut version.. (Help the Mummy get the Tut busts to the all seeing eyes)

soko_tut.png

And second a Mad Lab version. (Help the Mad scientist scoop up brains to get them to the biohazard decontamination areas)

soko_lab.png

LoL, I had a bit of fun, I hope you like them.

Cheers! :)

P.S. Oh, just right click and save image as.. to download them.
I'm a Fan, Are You?

Ian Price

They both look excellent (even if you have put the floppy disc protective slide on the wrong way around :P)

Nice work :D

Big C.

Hi Ian,

is there a possibility to reset the lvl-Status back to start at lvl 1? I don't mean to navigate in the finished levels. If I delete the soko.dat then I get an invalid stream error. If I make a new file soko.dat with the editor then I get the same error.

BTW what's going on toxic?  ;D

Greetings

Big C.

Ian Price

See the attachment Big C :)

I'm not going to be very actively coding for the next few months I'm afraid - I'm a judge in the Retro Remakes comp and will probably spend long periods of my free time playing and reviewing stuff - as a result Sokoban Toxic (amongst a few others) isn't going anywhere fast I'm afraid. :(

bmorris

Having been linked to this thread by buggage, I've just spent an enjoyable few days playing this Sokoban game, which is bug free. I thought the most noteworthy levels were 25, 28, 32-35, and the last two, which I couldn't actually solve...

One thing this implementation lacks - and I'm surprised no one else raised this - is an undo feature. This is an absolute MUST in any Sokoban clone, and I have to report that I had one or two angry moments whilst playing when I made a mistake and had to restart the level from scratch.

Another issue is the lack of credits for the levels. Granted, you might not know where they're originally from if you grab them from other implementations, but you should supply author information as far as possible, particularly to avoid inadvertent copyright violations.

There's a clone called YASC (yet another Sokoban clone) at SourceForge, and this contains every feature you could possibly want. Until I code my own version, I recommend using this  :) By the way, in respect of my previous comment about credit, YASC comes with a "duplicate detector", so if you're unsure of a level's authorship, you can search and identify it there.