2D game viewed with 3D Camera

Started by kevin, February 04, 2006, 12:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Sounds as though this is coming on in leaps and bounds  :)
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Another Demo With Source Code requires testing !

Here's the updated version of the 2d Platformer in 3D scene demo.  This version include an exe and the source code. The code requires PB1.23 (i'll upload that later on tonight)  The main difference is that this version used the newly incorporated TranslateMeshToScene. Which can take a static mesh and a set of rotated vertex and translate them directly into the scene buffer.  Thus removing the main brute force operation from the original demo.

Note:  I've released this version early as I need your help verifying the crash problem has been eliminated.  Previously in roam mode you could get the odd lock up when flying around.   I believe this was now caused by from rouge division that hit infinity within the projection code. While i'm pretty sure, i'm not 100% sure. (although it hasn't crashed here since i fixed that)   So just in case, this version only runs in windowed mode.  

Download

Old Download Removed

kevin

Ian Price

Very nice :D

Even on 1024x768 32 Bit resolution I'm getting over 75 FPS (typically 80+) - too fast to play!

No crashes despite throwing it around a fair old bit.
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

That's pretty nice rate in windowed mode at that res !

I'm glad you've not been able to kill it either, so i think this issue has been fixed.

kevin

2D Platformer in 3D World Tech Demo with Source Code

Since the previous version was stable, here's the final update of this tech demo. I've added a few tidbits on open/close, but the core demo is the same really.

This version includes source code,  it's a bit bloated now as there's various functions that have become redundant due to the TranslateMeshToScene command, but you get that.

Download
Download Demo + Src (login required) (1.3 meg ish)

medwayman

Very impressive and very cool. :D

Live the new logo btw :)

Calypson

yes - i must agree that the new logo rocks.

also, with my new compy, I get 60 FPS at 1024 by 768, 32bit.

too fast to play the game actually - i'll hafta put a FPS cap on it

kevin

Yeah, Kohai's version of the PB logo is really growing on me.  The newest version has slightly different colours than that one. More blue than greeny

Fash

When compiling the source under the latest pb (+beta ide) I get a 288 fatal error - bank #0 out of legal range

compiler 1.28c
ide 1.1.0
(the exe runs fine though, albeit a tad fast, LOL)

Steve

PS The new logo looks fantastic :)
For PC game/demo music visit
Future Developments

kevin

There's a line of code that's not used.  It were it'd die with a fatal exception :)

Open the project, go to MAIN and find line 286.   It's just inside the demos main DO/LOOP

which looks like this

PlayBASIC Code: [Select]
Do
RenderToScreen
; BackDrop()

CaptureToScene
ClsScene

; Rotate vertex list (with XYZ rotation order)
CameraAddress=GetBankPtr(CameraObject)
; ObjectAddress=GetBankPtr(VertexObject) <<< remove this one line

Fash

For PC game/demo music visit
Future Developments