Main Menu

OldKyrussDemo error

Started by NobodyinParticular, June 01, 2005, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobodyinParticular

When I run the OldKyrussDemo example using the trial version of Playbasic v1.073, it causes an error in playbasic.exe module pb_vgfx.dll.  The line that causes the crash is:
BoxC RndRange(width2,width),RndRange(height2,height),RndRange(width2,width),RndRange(height2,height),Rnd(1),RndRGB()

I get the same error when running the PolygonZrotate example but I didn't have time to go thru the source and find exactly where the problem was located.
----------------------------------------
James Profitt - Gilla Gang Games
Intel Core Duo E6850 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR2 ram, GeForce 8800GT 512mb, SB Audigy 2, Windows XP Pro SP3

kevin

It's prolly a clipping issue.  Most frame buffers have scan line padding, your obviously doesn't (so any bad clips will write outside of protected memory).   I'll have a look tonight

kevin

as a test, try adding this line to the start of each demo..

the cords are the clipping area of the screen.  Messy aroudn with the Coords and see what cuases the crash for you.    (Don't set the clipping values BIGGER than the screen though, thta';s asking for trouble !)

Screenviewport 0,0,400,300

try this in the  Old Kyruss Demo

OpenScreen 800,600,16,2
 SetFPS 100
 Screenviewport 0,0,799,599    ; HERE IS THE LINE

edit: forget my own command names :)

kevin

NobodyinParticular,

The box clipping + Texturing drama's should be fixed now.  please Email me and i'll arrange a replacement demo.exe for you to test.

NobodyinParticular

Adding screenviewport seems to fix the problem.  So far Playbasic looks like exactly what I have been searching for, I am wanting to remake some of my favorite old arcade and C64 games.
Intel Core Duo E6850 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR2 ram, GeForce 8800GT 512mb, SB Audigy 2, Windows XP Pro SP3

kevin

Nobody,

Cool, so the crashes were cause by clipping.  I've emailed you a replacement (beta) of the compiler to test.  Hopefully it should correct these dramas at your end. but we won't know for sure until you test it.

Btw, What C64 games do you have in mind ?.

NobodyinParticular

I just tried the beta .EXE and it appears to have fixed the problems.  So far all of the examples I have tried work perfectly.  This weekend when I have more free time, I'll have a better chance of really testing it out.

The C64 games I have been thinking about are S.W.A.T., Beachhead II, Raid on Bungling Bay, and High Noon.  There are a bunch of those old games I still like to play, like Impossible Mission, Rad Warrior, Breakthru, Bluemax, Hero, Castle of Dr. Creep, and more.  SWAT will be first probably because I already have most of the tiles and sprites made where I started the remake in Gamemaker but never really got anywhere with it.  Gamemaker is a nice application, but I am too used to doing everything with code rather and using a drag-n-drop kind of setup...

kevin

QuoteI just tried the beta .EXE and it appears to have fixed the problems. So far all of the examples I have tried work perfectly. This weekend when I have more free time, I'll have a better chance of really testing it out.

ahh, that's good news then.    There's probably a few other rouge clipping problem still hidden away  though.

QuoteThe C64 games I have been thinking about are S.W.A.T., Beachhead II, Raid on Bungling Bay, and High Noon. There are a bunch of those old games I still like to play, like Impossible Mission, Rad Warrior, Breakthru, Bluemax, Hero, Castle of Dr. Creep, and more.

That's a nice cross section of titles.  There's a few there I'm actually all that not familiar with. I'll have to go google them.  "Rad Warrior, BreakThru & Dr creep"   They might have been called something else when released here though.

QuoteSWAT will be first probably because I already have most of the tiles and sprites made where I started the remake in Gamemaker but never really got anywhere with it. Gamemaker is a nice application, but I am too used to doing everything with code rather and using a drag-n-drop kind of setup...

Cool, well i hope you can bring some of those ideas to life using PB.   I know that i'd love to see what you come up with.

Scharmers

QuoteS.W.A.T., Beachhead II, Raid on Bungling Bay, and High Noon.

I remade Raid on Bungling Bay as "Gila Copter" in The Games Factory a long, long time ago (so long ago, in fact, that I now longer even have the game).  Will Wright (creator of RoBB) actually sent me a nice letter complementing me on it.

--scharmers