What is the future of PlayBasic ???

Started by piamoo, July 22, 2020, 02:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piamoo

Hello, 4 questions....  :)

What is the future of PlayBasic?

Will there be a roadmap or a wishlist for PlayBasic?

Will PlayBasic rise like a phoenix from the ashes?

How many members are still using PlayBasic?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

kevin

Howdy,

Here's 4 answers.

What is the future of PlayBasic?

-- There's lots of thing i'd like to do and have talked endless about ideas i'd like to bring to PlayBASIC in the various blogs/tutorials etc in recent years.   But time is huge limiting factor today, or more accurately, my limited time for all things development.  

Will there be a roadmap or a wishlist for PlayBasic?

-- There are various internal roadmaps, that's not to say they're a secret, more a list of stepping stones from where we started; that moved towards FX/3D.  Most that is irrelevant today though.  As for requests, there's an entire forum devote for requests..

Will PlayBasic rise like a phoenix from the ashes?

--  Unlikely...  

--  Unknown,  downloads/installs are a useless metric anyway.   A better question would be "Do people write lots of applications in PB today" ?  Not really..

I'll cover these in the next video blog...  (whenever that is)

piamoo

Quote from: kevin on July 26, 2020, 08:51:33 AM

--  Unknown,  downloads/installs are a useless metric anyway.   A better question would be "Do people write lots of applications in PB today" ?  Not really..

I'll cover these in the next video blog...  (whenever that is)

I think that the user base of PlayBASIC really needs to be enlarged. Really need to look into how the PlayBASIC user base can become a large user base.

I want to see a big PlayBASIC community!!!

kevin

QuoteI think that the user base of PlayBASIC really needs to be enlarged. Really need to look into how the PlayBASIC user base can become a large user base.

That'd be cool and all, but it's a very crowded space today.  Lots of mature free solutions, so you'd need a massive injection of funds to even thing about trying to compete.  Which at this time feels pretty unrealistic. 

stevmjon

i find playbasic so easy to use. been using it for a long time now. i think the first version i got was PB1.06.

i really hope kev keeps this project going. looking forward to seeing the next video to see his thoughts and future plans.
the jump from PB1.64 to PB1.65 was a total re-write. big improvement. i hope kev still gets enjoyment from this.

good onya kev for such dedication to PB for such a long time now. i would love to see PB grow too.
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

piamoo

Quote from: stevmjon on July 31, 2020, 10:14:34 PM
i find playbasic so easy to use. been using it for a long time now. i think the first version i got was PB1.06.

i really hope kev keeps this project going. looking forward to seeing the next video to see his thoughts and future plans.
the jump from PB1.64 to PB1.65 was a total re-write. big improvement. i hope kev still gets enjoyment from this.

good onya kev for such dedication to PB for such a long time now. i would love to see PB grow too.

Hello.....I bought PlayBasic 8 or 9 years ago.

Yes, PlayBasic really needs a complete plan.

Furthermore, a language software's users usually want to communication with the language software's author about the future versions. If there is no good communication, many users will quietly leave the language software.

stevmjon

hey piamoo

i hope you have enjoyed playbasic over the years. have you showcased any demo's of you work?

kev has been posting progress of playbasic in showcase and updates section, and there is a future request section on the forum too.
i think it comes down to time available for him to progress with playbasic. when you say playbasic needs a complete plan, do you mean a roadmap for kev's future plans for playbasic, or do you mean that playbasic needs to update in a certain direction with particular new features?

i'm interested in your idea's for this. i'd love to help kev, but i don't have enough knowledge about programming software like he does, but i am interested in learning how he does it.

piamoo

Quote from: stevmjon on August 04, 2020, 11:21:25 PM
i hope you have enjoyed playbasic over the years. have you showcased any demo's of you work?

Hello, I learn some programming languages at my leisure but I never try to use PlayBASIC to make a complete game.

when you say playbasic needs a complete plan, do you mean a roadmap for kev's future plans for playbasic, or do you mean that playbasic needs to update in a certain direction with particular new features?

Ha.....my meaning is:

1. "do you mean a roadmap for kev's future plans for playbasic,"  <---- This one, yes!

2. Kevin communicates with members of this forum. Thus Kevin can know what features members want to see in the future versions.

On the other hand, if PlayBASIC can become a freeware, there may be a very good influence on attracting new users.

kevin

I haven't forget this BTW, i've been trying to get a good free time to record something.  Got a few parts, but nobody is going to listen to me ramble on for a few hours..   I wouldn't :)

QuoteOn the other hand, if PlayBASIC can become a freeware, there may be a very good influence on attracting new users.

We've had a free version for a long time.     It didn't make an any difference, to be honest it's been less than beneficial.

kevin

Just getting through my second editing pass of the blog..  it's 1:52 minutes... of me um and arhhing :)   

Careful what you wish for !

kevin

stevmjon

kevin

PlayBASIC BLOG Episode #15 -  Road Map - From Here To Nowhere  (13th Sep 2020)

This blog looks at a question that was posted on the forums concerning PlayBASIC's feature and wondering about what roadmap (if any) there is to look forward to..

What follows talks about the initial question, then reviews a the classic PB1.50 to PB2.00 design document / idea pad moving onto where we are today..  All interjected with a health does of um's / arghs and other bits of pieces as this was recorded live (in fragments)

See: 

PlayBASIC BLOG Episode #15 -  Road Map - From Here To Nowhere  (13th Sep 2020) (login required)

PlayBASIC - Community Roadmap Discussion (13th Sep, 2020) (login required)

piamoo

Quote from: kevin on September 11, 2020, 11:27:23 AM

Teaser:

Thanks. I will watch the video later. I look forward to the new plan!

Hotshot

Hello Everyone,

Would love to see PlayBasic 2 because not many wanting to make next Step.

You look all the Basic of now.

GLBASIC (Not really improving as basically Stalled for some reason!)
AGK2( I think AGK 3 could be out one day!)
PLAYBASIC
PUREBASIC(They have updated to Version 6 doing C Backend as you have heard of it!)
THINBASIC(I didnt like it for some reason!)
NaaLaa 7

That about it really