News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Change

Started by piamoo, November 15, 2021, 03:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piamoo

Hello, 

I am curious. Any plan to make PlayBasic free? I mean freeware. More users, bigger community and PlayBasic will be moderately popular finally.

Actually, we(members of the forum) should look into other BASIC dialects closely. Most BASIC dialects fail in the modern world but a few BASIC dialects really succeeds. It is worthwhile to look into each of them.

Why nobody discusses the above things in the forum? Discussions will be beneficial to PlayBasic. Sure! I come to this forum several times each year but I still notice that there are active members in the forum, stevmjon and Scott_Bro. What are their opinions?   

kevin

QuoteI am curious. Any plan to make PlayBasic free? I mean freeware. More users, bigger community and PlayBasic will be moderately popular finally.

There's been a free version for over 10 years... 

stevmjon

hello piamoo,

the free version is "playbasic learning edition v1.64L" , and is available on the 'playbasic.com' website under the 'downloads' tab. this also has an example pack too.

over the years i do look at other programming languages, now and then, and watch tutorials on youtube to know more about them. more recently i have looked at python & c++. i keep using playbasic because it's so easy to use, and i like the community here. i am so used to it i guess.

in regards to looking at other basic languages, i have only used 2 languages. the first was 'amos' for the commodore amiga, then when i got a pc i looked around for another language and found 'playbasic' was a good one. so i stuck with it ever since.
out of interest piamoo, would you call playbasic a successful basic language?

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

piamoo

Quote from: stevmjon on November 16, 2021, 04:21:45 PM
hello piamoo,

the free version is "playbasic learning edition v1.64L" , and is available on the 'playbasic.com' website under the 'downloads' tab. this also has an example pack too.

Hello,

Ordinary people may think that the learning edition is not a complete edition.

Quotei like the community here. i am so used to it i guess.

A bigger community will be better. I want to see a big PlayBasic community.

in regards to looking at other basic languages, i have only used 2 languages. the first was 'amos' for the commodore amiga, then when i got a pc i looked around for another language and found 'playbasic' was a good one. so i stuck with it ever since.
I hear that a team of developers are now developing a new version of Amos called AOZ Studio.

out of interest piamoo, would you call playbasic a successful basic language?

It is a good programming language because nice games can be written in the language. However, nowadays game developers can choose from a lot of game tools. They want more from a game tool(or a game language). I hope that PlayBasic will be changed(or improved) in a suitable direction. Otherwise, the community cannot be enlarged.

kevin

QuoteOrdinary people may think that the learning edition is not a complete edition.

Ordinary people don't know what BASIC is,  let alone programming in BASIC.   

QuoteA bigger community will be better. I want to see a big PlayBasic community.

Apart from a FREE edition, what's your big idea then ??  and more importantly who's paying for it ?

QuoteIt is a good programming language because nice games can be written in the language. However, nowadays game developers can choose from a lot of game tools. They want more from a game tool(or a game language). I hope that PlayBasic will be changed(or improved) in a suitable direction. Otherwise, the community cannot be enlarged.

so to ask the obvious question, changed into what ?? 

Kman1011

If someone is interested then try the free version.

If someone is serious enough about it, They should buy it.

The best money I ever spent!
Ahh... Another visitor. Stay awhile....STAY FOREVER!!!...MWA-HA-HA-HA

caffey

I just would encourage anyone to purchase the full version just to give the developer a little love