Rockrush

Started by Ian Price, July 28, 2006, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big C.

Come on Ian, hurry up... I want playing...   :D

Ian Price

Aaaaarghhh!!

Just when I think I've sorted it, the changes affect something else. :(

I'm not going to release it as is, but if you PM me Big C, you can have a play. :) Everything is in, but the firefly/butterfly interaction isn't working 100% correctly - their movement patterns are right, it's just a problem when it comes to squishing...

I'm sure it's just a simple variable or timing error, but I've spent all morning on it so far. :(
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

Ian Price

Here's the first WIP of RockRush PB :)

There is still a couple of known bugs in the game - please read the text file for info.

Download HERE 817kb .RAR

Once I've completed the game I will be posting it into the Code Tank. The source isn't pretty though!

Please leave feedback, and have fun! :D

Ian Price

Has nobody tested this yet?

Anyway, I've fixed the squishing bug (together with a couple of others that I found), so a new download should be available very soon.

I'm now just tying up all the loose ends and the game is done. :)

Feedback and criticism is very much welcomed - even negative!

stef

Hi!

I tried it but found only the editor!

stef

Ian Price

It's not just the editor (did I forget to mention - Doh!).

You have to load a cave, then press the "TEST" icon to test.

I thought people would have fun trying to create their own levels, that's why I had it go straight into the editor, to prove how quick, easy and powerful it was.

Right, mental note for next time - go straight into game :P

stef

Hi !

Really heavy! I died about 100 times in the first (test) level :)  I must try again to reach the exit!

It's looking great and works fine.

Greetings
stef

Big C.

Hi Ian,

I impressed from your game, but it would be nice if I would have more than one life.  ;)

QuoteRight, mental note for next time - go straight into game
This would be cool because the first time as I started RR I didn't know what I should do... and where can I see your lovely title screen... :)

Ian Price

The full game starts with 3 lives - the map editor only gives one, as it's just to test the level, not play the full game. The original BD Construction Kit is exactly the same.

The title screen is now in the full game, together with some nice remixed BD music. All known bugs are squished and it plays exactly as it should, with 3 lives to start with and you can progress to the next level.

This is a 100% complete version of the original game, now just to add a couple of bits. :)

Ian Price

Work continues.

Quick note: I've now added a playback mode, so you can see me playing the very first level of the game. I'm now going through all the levels to ensure that they are fully completable - boy is it tough!!

I had hoped to have completed this by this time last week :(

Big C.

don't worry.. take your time to make it buggyless...  ;)

Ian Price

It's been pretty much bug-free now for a few days. Although I don't doubt that someone will spot something. I've included a simple graphical overlay that's accessed at the touch of a button if something strange does occur (it's usually down to an array, so I just display the cave variables).

hatonastick

Wow mate, you don't gather much moss do you. :)
Matthew 5:14-16

stef

Hi!

Made the first level! (I'm that proud :D)

Is there still only one level?

Where is the replay mode?

Greetings
stef

Ian Price

Believe it or not, all 30 levels are actually included with that test. You just have to click on the next level icon (CAVE +), then click LOAD and TEST.

To make it easier, here is a compiled version of the nearly complete game. There's still acouple of things I need to work out though (no high score entry, no redefine keys option, no complete screen, only 30 levels - if you go past/select a number higher than cave 30, you'll get an error)

There is one rare bug - sometimes a rock/diamond/firefly/butterfly doesn't move properly due to there apparently being an item next to them, that doesn't appear - eg if a diamond hangs in mod air for no obvious reason, then press ENTER - it will give you a screen full of array values, the values represent the element (eg diamond=7, Rockford=12, rock=6 etc.) Usually there will be a 6, 7, 8 or 9 underneath the object. I may need to re-write all of the code to sort this...

BTW If you leave the title screen for about a minute, it'll show a demo of the first level being completed :)

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, the game IS "rock" hard. Feel free to make an easier set of levels. BoulderDash pros, shouldn't really have much of a problem though ;)