Main Menu

Shadow Of the Beast demo

Started by Ian Price, July 19, 2006, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Since work is continuing on this, and I've updated it a few times, I've decided to create a showcase for my Shadow Of the Beast remake.

The current demo, which includes running, jumping, punching (but not kicking), non-interactive animated enemies etc. can be downloaded from (Dead link removed) 1.19Mb

Again, it's a packed .EXE

Once level one is completed that's it. I will not be continuing with this project.

Once it's completed I'll upload it to the CodeTank. :)

Download From PlayBASIC.com

I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Yep, Still nice.  There's a little jumping bug.  If you jump and change direction while in the air, it plays the turn anim.

Ian Price

Yep. I missed that one. Sorted now. Cheers :)

DL Updated.

stef

Hi Ian!

Just wonna thank again for sharing this sourcecode.
It's amazing how you can reach this brilliant result with this short code and few media!

PS
It's a pity that you didn't get more response.
But it seems you get most response and attention on this board if you only present a picture from time to time.

So long
stef

Ian Price

Thanks for the feedback - it is most welcome (although that really is a very simple game) :)

I don't seem to get much response for anything round here tbh. :(

Adaz

I didn't find this topic until now, so I can answer now :)
Ian, you are a GOD  :) I LOVED this game and it's music on Amiga, and this was a fantastic feeling to feel this feeling again :D :D :D
I sang while I was playing with your remake:)
But I think it's not a real remake, because IMHO a real remake uses new graphics, but who cares? :)
How did you capture all of the original graphics?
Do you really not continue this project?  ???

Ádáz

Hungary

Ian Price

It was never intended to be a remake - I just wanted to create a better demo of the initial PB demo (which I think I did).

The graphics were painstakingly ripped from the Amiga version - I had to take 100s of screenshots and cut up every image to get all of them and then crop them and animate them accordingly.

I already have a more advanced demo, but I do not intend to continue once level 1 is complete. I never intended to do more than running over the scenery initially. Once it's done, I will again, post it in the codetank. TBH doing this reminded me just how simple (codewise) and dull the original game really is.

I'm not a God. It was just an experiment that worked well, first time. I probably know less than 10% of the PB language as it stands now, but that doesn't matter.

RaverDave

You MaD!! But well done anyhow, yeh I am old enuff to remember this one, I kinda got pissed off with its reloading of the baddies and never played it much, its probably in the attic

hatonastick

Actually that's pretty neat, although I agree about the original SOTB.  Never really got into it myself back then for the same reasons (I found SOTB rather boring to play), although Psygnosis really did nice graphics in their day. :)
Matthew 5:14-16

Tracy

Beautiful, Ian. I'm most impressed, as always, with your stuff. Keep it up.

Ian Price

Cheers, it is a beautiful looking game, but that's not down to me. I am not responsible for the graphics, sound or original gameplay. Everything is ripped. I only did the code that makes it move.