Lost 4 hours of work! HELP!

Started by drummergirl, November 09, 2004, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummergirl

Hey! I just spent the better part of my morning( about 4 hours)  transcribing a song (drums) on DTAB.  I was careful to keep saving my work every 5 minutes in case anything happened. In the middle of transcribing, i got some sort of DTAB has caused an illegal operation error and it closed DTAB out.  
I restarted my computer and opened DTAB back up.  I went to load in the transcription and i got the following pop up:

Warning:  This DTAB file contains section data not supported by this version of DTAB. Please upgrade to the LATEST DBAB version.  

I just downloaded this last week and it IS a registered copy.  DTAB V0.64

Once i hit ok, it takes me to my transcription and all my SECTIONS are there and comments are there, BUT NO TRANSCRIPTION!! no notes are showing up at all.

Please tell me I can recover this transcription.
Thanks,
Diana

kevin

The File is mostly likely NOT lost,  the loader for some unknown reason (you'll have to send me the file if you want it fixed) is getting confused loading the sections.  

Although it is also possible, the file may have been damaged during saving by windows.   But i can't tell that, until have a look at the your .DTB file itself..

kevin

DrummerGirl,

Thanks for sending the files.   Yes, this does indeed appear to be a bug in the DTAB loader.  :(  

So, I'm going to taking tonight off and try and fix this for you..

kevin

I've been looking into this issue most of the day/night, it's not actually an error in the loader at all.  Rather it's the time signature information has been deleted from the head bar, after much hands on testing, I think the only way this appears to be possible is when using the copy section controls.   If the file is saved in this state, you get the issue the drummer girl has, plus if you attempt to try and play the song, Dtab will crash.

You can test this your self, by opening DTAB V0.64.. then  name a section "start" at the first bar,  add a few bars of junk, what ever..  then name one of those bars "Junk Bar" :).. Then go to copy section and copy  from "Junk Bar"  to  "start"

Now after it's been copied, if you attempt to play the track it should crash !,  and more importantly if you save the track and attempt to reload it..  It doesn't load correctly either, in these cases it'd be pot luck, if it works or not...

However, as it turns out, you can actually make DtabV0.64 load DrummerGirls song,

1) Load any of the examples that come with DTAB that are in 4/4  (Which you'll find in the My Program\Dta\/examples\ folder)
2) Load the song that wasn't previously loading.  The theory is that the previous load will set the time sig data, that's missing from this song.  However the time sig of the song you load in step #1, must match your songs opening time sig.
3) Before playing it or  re-saving.. Move the edit cursor to t e first bar, it should be there by default anyway..
4) Set the Time Signature to 5/4..  
5) Now set the time signature to 4/4..
6) RE-SAVE song using a different File Name
7) Song should be  back to normal now.

While this is largely immaterial now, as i'm currently updating Dtab to try and fix this issue... but perhaps somebody else has come across this problem..

kevin

Copy Section Bug fixed in Dtab V0.68

drummergirl

Thanks Kevin.  Do we need to uninstall V.064 before installing V.068?

kevin

No,  just install it over the top when it released