News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Why You Don't Need Vista Now

Started by kevin, December 13, 2006, 07:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

I  like the concept.  Anything that can help clean up the ugliness  that is installing applications the better.   Not just games, everything.  It's too easy to for some installer to silently deliver 'bonus'  content or overwrite filesthat it shouldn't. 

Ian Price

Indeed. And to be honest, all these stories are just scaremongering really - there will be problems initially, but they'll soon be fixed. All OS's have problems to start with and all take time to get used to.
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Another tidbit on the subject.

'Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming'

Ian Price

This is only true for games requiring an installer though (zipped games don't need this, as my Sorcery game proved).

This kind of defeats the whole point of security in one respect, as it's highly unlikey that virus' etc. will require the use of an installer to run them :P

Surprisingly many professional developers over at RetroRemakes are not complaining about Vista at all - looks like this may just be a storm in a tea-cup really.

Ian Price

How to install Windows Vista properly -

http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Installing_Windows_Vista-87b3.html

kevin

Shock, Horror !

Tech Analysis: Windows Vista Sucks Performance

Ian Price

That's not good. I think I'll stick with XP just a bit longer (ie until my computer dies and I have to replace it - hopefully no time soon).