Main Menu

Fire Fox

Started by kevin, September 24, 2004, 08:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

After having issue after issue after issue with IE,  finally decided to give FireFox a try.  So far, it seems to work really well.   Although there's some stuff on the UW home page, that's not displayed the same as IE6 (some font sizes), but who knows whats at fault..

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

empty

kevin

I like the tabbed browser thing.   SO how do you turn the built in download manager off..  I actually use star downloader for that.  I cuold use both, i'd rather have everything in the one place for the time being

empty

I don't know (I don't use dl managers). You could try to fiddle with the settings in Tools -> Options -> Downloads. Maybe you need to change something in dl manager, though.

kevin

It takes a bit of getting used to, something i miss a lot is the address bar doesn't seem to remember the places i visit often..

There's an odd drama with code boxes at TGC though. The font is some fixed size 'block' set...

empty

QuoteIt takes a bit of getting used to, something i miss a lot is the address bar doesn't seem to remember the places i visit often..

Yeah the address bar lists the sites chronologically. But there's this "Bookmark Toolbar" right below the normal toolbar. Left click opens the pages and- very useful- right-click -> "Open in Tabs" opens a tab for each bookmark.

QuoteThere's an odd drama with code boxes at TGC though. The font is some fixed size 'block' set..
Hmmm, TGC codeboxes look ok here, however, the ones over at blitz are horribly small. I have to zoom in to be able to read them.

kevin

QuoteYeah the address bar lists the sites chronologically

So if reboot FF, the drop down in the address bar has your last sessions sites ?  

Here it's cleared each time.  I really liked (an awful lot :) ) being to jump around just through the one control..

empty

Now, that's odd. I had that problem with FF 0.8 and below but only when windows crashed while an instance of FF was open.

kevin

I'm getting some odd crashes with it also. I like the little bug report thing though..   Both FF and IE crash on TGC site (for example)  for some bizarre reason..

kevin

solved the the address bar thing..  It seemed the cache was set to 0 days..  So it makes sense

BinaryMoon

I've been using FireFox for a while now.

I really recommend the adblock extension. It works really well.
Ben aka Mop

BinaryMoon
BinarySun

kevin

I'm really enjoying using it.  There's a few odd things with in on the UW admin pages though..

Although it doesn't seem to suffer the same time out problem IE6 does here for example.

kevin

Seen this one ?
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

BinaryMoon

The problem with browsers like Avant and MyIE is that they aren't actually a new browser. They sit on top of Internet Explorer so have all the security issues IE has with a few new bells and whistles.
Ben aka Mop

BinaryMoon
BinarySun

kohai

Yup, switched to FF also ...

Nothing is half good as it is, surfwise ... ( except that plug-in support sucks ! :( )