News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Tile Based(Platform) Level Editor

Started by slayer93, July 06, 2009, 09:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayer93

Woo! Another Level Editor...

Well after looking through my PlayBasic projects I realized I didn't release the level editor for my Heroes Compo game. So here it is, although lacking a lot of features that I wanted(which I may add once I rewrite my platform game). It does have the basic features you need in a level editor, however it uses its own file format for the maps (at the time I never realized that PlayBasic had its own format for maps I could use).

I've included the source and the tile set I used for my game. Its also fairly easy to use, scroll the map using the arrowkeys and place/select tiles using the mouse. You will also be able to select and hide layers with the buttons on the side (only 3 layers but I may make it dynamic). And although it says Platform Editor I'm sure its basic enough where it can apply to different tile based games however if I do update it, it will be geared towards Platform games.

I think that's it, hope someone finds it useful for their games :).

Makeii Runoru

Perhaps you could also use a tool for collision, such as a box, slope, harmtile, etc.
This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

slayer93

I may make something like that if/when I start working on this again although that would come after I add in a bunch of the things I wanted :P.

Makeii Runoru

I just noticed FPS 19 in the screenshot. Does the software bog own RAM too much?
This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

slayer93

I don't think it should of but it was my first project in PB and I was rushing for the competition so there are plenty of problems in it.

Makeii Runoru

I ran it alright. I was also running some auto-macros for a game, and when it used it, it slowed down the FPS a bit, but other than that, it ran around 45-55 FPS alright. Is the FPS setting on 60?

kevin

It's seems like a good editor, but using sprites for the map isn't the best the idea, coupled with the tile size you get lots of dead rendering time.. As per    Economizing Image Blitting (drawing!)

slayer93

QuoteI ran it alright. I was also running some auto-macros for a game, and when it used it, it slowed down the FPS a bit, but other than that, it ran around 45-55 FPS alright. Is the FPS setting on 60?

Yeah its been set to 60

QuoteIt's seems like a good editor, but using sprites for the map isn't the best the idea, coupled with the tile size you get lots of dead rendering time.. As per    Economizing Image Blitting (drawing!)

Seems like I still have a bit to learn about PB, anyways if I start working on this again I might just remake the entire thing :P

Makeii Runoru

Indeed. Sometimes it is necessary to write a rough draft before refining and possibly rewriting it altogether.

kevin

Slayer93,

QuoteSeems like I still have a bit to learn about PB,

Well,  I wouldn't worry too much about it, as if you look through a lot of PB programs you'll notice it's a pretty common mistake.