Main Menu

Water wescue final released

Started by micky4fun, May 31, 2009, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Quoteok heres a screenie , looks like ive found the problem so i will carry on with game now , as i did'nt want to spend loads of time doing it and when anyone played it , it crashed

so what was the problem ????

micky4fun

Hi Kevin

i had to change collisionclass tested for collision to 2 or 4 or 8 anything other the class of the linked list sprite (bm.sprite)

ie the code was
ThisSprite=SpriteHit(bm.sprite,GetFirstSprite(),1)
now changed to
ThisSprite=SpriteHit(bm.sprite,GetFirstSprite(),2)

i did this with all 3 spritehit commands that tested a linked list sprite and set the collisionclass of sprite tested for collsion against to 2 , 4 or 8
did my testing again and all seems ok now
as soon as i changed it back to  ThisSprite=SpriteHit(bm.sprite,GetFirstSprite(),1) it bombed out again
so i think it must be this

mick :)

ps  heres the latest code , main game framwork nearly done now , got to get some kind of gun fitted to boat now

u9

Quote from: micky4fun on June 17, 2009, 05:13:46 AM
QuoteI have been quite busy with my new iPhone developer job
well wish you all the best with that  , got an ipod touch at moment , getting phone soon , some good games and apps on this platform and its getting better all the time ..

My opinion... Don't waste your money on an iphone if you have the touch. At least not for gaming. The iPod Touch runs software much faster, i am guessing because the iPhone has to run phone-software in the background. It is also much bigger and bulkier. Of course, they just released the new iphone with much more powerful hardware, so... I believe it is the same hardware that is in the OpenPandora.

kevin

Mick,

any progress on the site idea ?  as a few of your older games seem to have been deleted from the upload sites.

I've set upload space for you on the UW server,  Email Me for details.

micky4fun

Hi all

well i was hoping to get this game done before i go on holiday , but with me making a few mistakes with my programming it slowed me down ,

so ile leave you with a running demo of game nearly complete , i will return to it when i get back in 2 weeks

lots of fine tuning to be done yet and a decent main player gunship to be found..

thanks
mick ;D

kevin

Looks pretty good, shame we can't play it :).   So is the scene backdrop going to be static in the final ? -  if so, this is the type of scene that would benefit from dirty rectangles  See-> (OPt'ing tutorial.     

micky4fun

Hi all

Ok just back from hols , done a bit tonight , so heres a playable demo where i am at now , still a quite a bit to do yet .

QuoteSo is the scene backdrop going to be static in the final ? -  if so, this is the type of scene that would benefit from dirty rectangles

well still some more sprites yet to come in sky , but ile have a look at dirty rectangles and see how i get on if needed

press "S" to skip demo to play game
left and right-arrow to move boat , mouse to aim at heli-coptors and boats , leftmouse to fire missiles , rightmouse or down-arrow for depth charges
you gunsight will get smaller the more you get it , after 40 hits on your boat it will go into demomode so press "S" to restart .. thats it
ohh yeh still trying to find a gunboat image so this will change..

LBFN

Nice game Micky4fun.  I never could see any of the pics you said were there until the post before this one.  Did you make the images yourself?

BlinkOk

lookin good micky. nice work mate.

micky4fun

Hi all

QuoteDid you make the images yourself?
no LBFN im not that clever , i slightly altered some of net , with my last 2 games ive been very lucky to have images supplied by BlinkOk , you may notice 1 or 2 images by him here ,

Hi BlinkOK , yep its coming along ok i think ,

i did a little more tonight i think it should be ready in a day or 2 hopefully

heres a latest screenie

mick ;D

reno

More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

micky4fun

Hi all

QuoteSprites from METAL SLUG

yep from metal slug ..

im still a day or 2 away , im adding a couple of extra things to make it play a bit better i hope , then goto to put in sound and level update, so heres another 3 in game screenie's with a couple of extra's on

mick ;D

micky4fun

Hi all

ok quick demo here , a few levels into game this is what its going to like ,, i think , lol
run project1

mick ;D

kevin

Mick,

Pretty good (as expected :) ), reminds me a lot of Sabotage game play actually, expect you can move left/right in this.   I'm not sure if it's intended or not, but It's a bit biased currently.   There's need to be some type of control over how aggressive the game gets over all.   This level can then be used as how frequently objects are spawned/fire etc.   So the game starts out fairly passive and over time gets more aggressive.   

Random ideas

* you could have some objects moving in the distance (left/right , right left)  so a heli might move on in the far distance .. move left..  move forward  to the attack plane.   Giving the illusion of perspective.   They only be active when on the foreground plane though.

* how about when the boat is just about stuffed, the player jumps out into a row boat/floaty thing.  If you make it off the screen you restore you're boat,  or perhaps  you set off a flare and can be rescued by air. 

* it'd be nice to be able to shoot the hover craft bullets,  as if it gets a clear shot, you're sitting duck.  Moveover,  if might be fairer to make the players bullets hit the water also.  So both sides adhere to the same rules.

* The hover craft could also dock on the player,  jump on take control, player loses.   

* also, you might want to think about moving all the media into a folder.  So  when you load an image/sound etc   prefix it with the local path.    Ie.  If graphics we're stored in GFX,  then loadimage "Picture.bmp",1   becomes LoadIMage "gfx\picture.bmp",1   - Much cleaner for the player.     

Another graphical thing would be to trim up the media of any redundant pixels and you could prolly combined the backdrop into one picture (sky and rock bottom thing),  and perhaps even use the viewport controls to clip it.   This will help reduce some of drawing overhead.   You might not notice it, but those with old clunkers most certainly will !

micky4fun

reminds me a lot of Sabotage game play actually, expect you can move left/right in this.
yep quite a bit likt that game , yep use arrow keys left right and down , hit diver for extra energy , paratrouper for extra bombs

i will look at all sujestions and see what i can come up with ,
the timing of enemy at moment is random , but i was going to try a timer or timer and random combined,
i was maybe going to do it so you can shoot hovercraft missiles as well , so ile try that

ok ile be back soon with an update

mick :)