News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Can Playbasic create a MMORPG type game or does it need other language?

Started by eatfishy, May 26, 2008, 10:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can Playbasic create a MMORPG type game or does it need other language?

YES
0 (0%)
NO
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

eatfishy

Have anyone created a MMORPG with Playbasic alone? If not, what other language do you recommend to do it? Also, what is the maxium number of user connection when using K NET plugin?

kevin

Without considerable experience in the field, then It's unlikely in current release editions of PB. 

hartnell

QuoteHave anyone created a MMORPG with Playbasic alone?

Not that I'm aware of. At best PB has a built in HTTP library which in theory could be used to network an MMORPG but it wouldn't be the best solution.

QuoteIf not, what other language do you recommend to do it? Also, what is the maxium number of user connection when using K NET plugin?

Sorry, I have no idea what the K NET plugin is. However, you can call functions from .dlls in PB. That means all you really need is a good networking .dll and a host running Microsoft Satan 2k, I mean, Microsoft Win2k or any of several other flavors of Satan, I mean, Windows.

How far along are you in planning your MMORPG?

-- Shawn

thaaks

I wouldn't consider PB for the server part of any MMOG. As PB is windows only you would be limited to a windows based web host. Additionally PB doesn't support multi threading which is required to serve all your clients in a separate thread for each client. And it's lacking some DB connectivity (like MySQL, Oracle or whatever DB your provider supports).

So you'd better have a look at PHP, Perl, Python or Java to implement the server processes. It depends what language is hosted on your web server...

For the client process I'd say PB is a great option. You can talk HTTP and I'm sure you can use any other lib/dll (like Raknet) to use TCP or UDP or whatever you think your MMOG might require.
And of course PB is powerful enough to do all the eye and ear candy stuff.

Bustaballs

It might be cool to have a little PB online game in the style of (login required). Those games are all made in Director.
QuoteOh please