New Playbasic ver 1.49 Problem from THE GAMES CREATOR DOWNLOADS

Started by servogod85, October 10, 2006, 03:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

servogod85

Hi I downloaded the new version (from v1.44 to 1.49). What I did is I disinstalled the old version, downloaded the 1.49 pacth version, and installed  it to my computer. Afterwards, when i wanted to run my language, it kept giving me fatal errors and then the ide would load up. the fatal error had to do with something about the compiler not being found. What i did next was download the trial version of 1.49 and then i installed the v 1.49 patch on top of the trial version. Did I do right? So far it seems to be ok, i am making a new archery game and i tested parts of it with no problem so far. Before I go all the way with it I just wanted to make sure i installed the new PlayBasic correctly. Thanks  :)

Sal

servogod85

The main problem is that The Game Creators site only offer me the 1.48 peacth version and 1.49 patch version. Unless these versions include the full retail version as well, i am not sure if they offer a full retail version anymore. This is why i am confused...

kevin

Quote from: servogod85 on October 10, 2006, 03:24:55 AM
Hi I downloaded the new version (from v1.44 to 1.49). What I did is I disinstalled the old version, downloaded the 1.49 pacth version, and installed it to my computer.

Patches have to be installed Over your existing install.    As patch installers only include the main updated files, other key files are not included.  Therefore attempting to install a patch and run it on it's own, will not only result in errors, it  simply can't function without the base files provided in the Full Retail installer.   Which in your case is PB v1.44.  

Since your a TGC customer, go to your download history on TGC's site and re-download PB1.44 retail version, if you have not done so already.  

To update in the future,

Step 1) Install what ever base retail version you have (PB1.089, PB1.33 or PB1.44)  and activate it  (i.e. enter your serial )

Step 2) Download the latest patch(s) from either the PB maintenance area  (HERE (login required)) or TGC site if you wish.  It doesn't actually matter from where, as patch installers of the same version are identical!

Step 3) Install said patch over your current retail install.

Step 4) When new patches are released, repeat this process starting at STEP 2

Cheeslord

I cant seem to download playbasic at all from TGC; when I tried last night following the link from this site I got an error on the website; if I open the URL manually without following a link from here then Playbasic isn't even listed.

I would like to buy Playbasic, but am having a hard time. I will try using ShareIt; if that doesn't work I will have to assume PB is no longer supported by anyone, which will be a shame.

Mark.

kevin

QuoteI cant seem to download playbasic at all from TGC; when I tried last night following the link from this site I got an error on the website; if I open the URL manually without following a link from here then PlayBasic isn't even listed.

Listed from where ?  After repeated requests from me, they still only list PB from the Drop down on TGC's main page.  It's under Game development, which is nicely hidden away at the top. It should also be listed under development products, but isn't.. Which is frustrating!

(login required)

(login required)

QuoteI would like to buy Playbasic, but am having a hard time. I will try using ShareIt; if that doesn't work I will have to assume PB is no longer supported by anyone, which will be a shame.

erm, What are we chopped liver ?  :)

While TGC are licensed PlayBASIC resellers,  their not the developers of PlayBASIC.  As a reseller their entitled to a custom demo version, but the retail editions (assuming the same version) are identical.    But they are often behind in the terms of updates however.  So,  UnderwareDesign is the home of all things PlayBASIC related.

Update: https://PlayBASIC.com  for all things PlayBASIC related

Cheeslord

Ah! It sems if you miss the "playbasic" bit from the URL, you still get to the TGC website but you cant see Playbasic, neatly preventing anyone from hearing about it from their site unless they already know about it! Maybe they wanted paying for the "advertising" of listing PB. Anyway I've got the registered version from ShareIt.com now.

Mmmmm... liver....

Mark.