News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Website opinions.

Started by dannywartnaby, May 23, 2003, 03:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannywartnaby

Morning Guys,

I'm updating my current site to be a little more 'friendly', currently its very much to my personal taste, but not many people like it (Too Dark for most). I'd like to put together something that looks a little more pro, as I have a few things in mind.

My Current site is www.dannywartnaby.co.uk and the new site is (Dead link removed)

I'd love some honest feedback on the new design, also could you say whether you like the frame (The idea is so that I can load any adverts, links, banners, polls... etc into the left, right and footer frames so they are in the users sight at all times).

kohai

Hmmm ... mixed impressions :

- the logo GOCODE, i spent almost 3 mins trying to read it ! Maybe try another font, this one is good, but not enough readable to caracterise quickly the name of the site.

- color scheme is great !  The greyish is much better then the full black actual version

- One thing is TOO SMALL !!! ^^
Extend your main content frame a bit, as your page looks really compressed like that. Even if you don't go the full page way ( apparently you don't like that ! :) ), this one looks more like a micro/mini site, rather then a corporate site dedicated to app programming. Remember you're going to have some text/details and screens to display, and forcing the user to constantly scroll the window is not very good.
Remember a user wants everything quick and handy !!!! :)

Keep up !

BinaryMoon

I'd say dump the splash page and the frames.

The splash page

If you really want the splash page then it should have more htan just the site name on it. Add quicklinks to the major sections of the site. Also it looks nice but doesn't fit with the design of the rest of the site (needs more colour).

The frames

You aren't doing anything that requires them... therefore get rid of them.

I like the colours and the logo - especially the cleaness of the logo. I like minimal design.

You should do more testing. I use a fairly hig resolution on my monitor and therefore set the text size to be large rather than medium - this messes up your headings in the tables (the background image tiles). BTW don't make the fonts fixed size since then I'll have trouble reading the text :)

In general I like it though. In fact I have liked all your websites... you just never seem to finish them.
Ben aka Mop

BinaryMoon
BinarySun

dannywartnaby

Thanks for the feedback, and for looking guys.

I think i will drop the frames, and allow the site to go full screen. As for the splash screen, that it staying (As i've always had intentions of previding quick links to main sections from the front page... I'll see how it works out).

Kohai - The GoCode logo will change anyway (The Text mainly).

BinaryMoon:
Thanks for pointing out the table issue, i'll fix that.

"In general I like it though. In fact I have liked all your websites... you just never seem to finish them. "

lol, and no-one knows that better than myself. I just never seem to be happy with personal projects. Anyways, cheers for the compliment.

kevin

I liked the Gocode logo actually. Where you got the idea for the 'orange' half i'll never know :)

I like it better without the frame, although it feels a tad 'thin' to me..

dannywartnaby

QuoteI liked the Gocode logo actually. Where you got the idea for the 'orange' half i'll never know :)

I like it better without the frame, although it feels a tad 'thin' to me..
I like the logo, its just the font that i'm not that keen on. As for the orange, well I was actually eating an Orange whilst thinking about GC's logo. I need a logo for another project i'm working on... now what shall i have for dinner ;).

Yeah, its better without the frame... I'll also make it full screen, should look better that way.

BinaryMoon

QuoteI'll also make it full screen, should look better that way

You don't mean you're gonna make the window fill the whole screen do you? That's bad. The user should be able to browse the web the way they want to not the way you tell them to (that's why I got rid of the popup window on my website)

I'm sure you just mean you're going to make it a liquid design... one that scales to fill the available space :) They're something I keep meaning to have a go at but I keep ending up with a design that is a table in the center of the screen.
Ben aka Mop

BinaryMoon
BinarySun

dannywartnaby

QuoteI'll also make it full screen, should look better that way

You don't mean you're gonna make the window fill the whole screen do you? That's bad. The user should be able to browse the web the way they want to not the way you tell them to (that's why I got rid of the popup window on my website)

I'm sure you just mean you're going to make it a liquid design... one that scales to fill the available space :) They're something I keep meaning to have a go at but I keep ending up with a design that is a table in the center of the screen.
Yeah, I hate those 'Full Screen' sites too, I'm just going to let the site fill the browser window, like your average site :).

kevin

Danny:

gezz it's lucky for us,  you weren't taking a whizz then when thinking about logos then  :D

Guest_froggermon

it looks VERY slick.   I've made a few websites in my day but they always end up feeling kind of heavy.  very nice work.  I think the logo is a little hard to read... if you disconnected the g it would be easier.

froggermon

Im a guest? i just registered.  hmm, thats wierd...Im not a guest anymore.