Main Menu

Play Mapper (WIP)

Started by kevin, February 17, 2008, 10:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Play Mapper V0.39b (Animation WIP)

Work continues on the building in the actual animation sequence editor.  Pretty much making this up as i go along at this point :),   but the pieces are largely falling into place easy enough.    The pic bellow shows a rough as guts version the edit anim window and the anim running on the map (not that you can see in a picture).  The controls mostly work,  you can move through the different anims, name them (you don't have to), change the anim types and frame rates.    But i'm still tinkering with the manual frame ordering.  Hopefully that'll fall into place in the next edit session.

While I think of it,  the animations frame rate are depend upon games refresh, so the editor needs to simulate users required refresh rate in order to get an idea of how the anims should run.   It'd be nice to have a 'viewport' or hud view also.  So the user can see view the map and geta  sense of what it'll look like in the game.  This is often helpful when designing maps that contain secret rooms for example. 

kevin

Play Mapper V0.40 (Animation WIP)

Finally solved the mysterious animation resetting bug mentioned in the dev blog.   Turned out to be the result of some lazy cut and paste, as always :)  -  Bellow we see the editing window working.  So now you and create an animation, add frames, insert and delete frames.  As well as naming it,  setting the animation mode and speed.  All that remains is to tweak the Window Init and resize code.  Which is the slowest thing about adding new controls.   But ya get that...

To manage the frame list, you click on point you have to insert at, then hit <>  to insert or - to delete.   The inserts the current tile section from the tile palette init the anim sequence.  Ideally if the animations are set out upon the original block picture in a linear order.   Then adding most animations will be a one click affair.   The only time you'll have to manage the frames is of course if the frames are not drawn in sequence.  Even so,  it's only going to be a few clicks to set up an anim.   It might not look it, but it's pretty painless.

thaaks

Just realized after re-reading your last entries:
Animations in maps are frame based. This implies that the whole map is somewhat frame based - means that it should be displayed at a specified frame rate when included animations shall work properly.
Is the "mandatory" frame rate a field/variable of the map file? If so, can I read it and use it to call SetFPS() anytime in the game to adjust the frame rate to the map?

Do you specify frame changes for an animation in frames that have to pass before the next frame is drawn (every 15th frame for example)? Or do you specify fractions of the map frame rate (next frame each quarter of the map frame rate)?

What about time based games? Could they use animated maps from Play Mapper Mini?

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

QuoteIs the "mandatory" frame rate a field/variable of the map file? If so, can I read it and use it to call SetFPS() anytime in the game to adjust the frame rate to the map?

Currently the animations just run at whatever speed the editor is running at.  To keep the demand a bit lower on the system, about 40or 50 from memory.

However,  In the project properties there will be a control designers can set for the games ideal refresh rate.   The editor will simulate this refresh rate,  regardless of how fast the editor is actually running.

QuoteDo you specify frame changes for an animation in frames that have to pass before the next frame is drawn (every 15th frame for example)? Or do you specify fractions of the map frame rate (next frame each quarter of the map frame rate)?

It's frames.

QuoteWhat about time based games? Could they use animated maps from Play Mapper Mini?

Yep,  you step the simulation forward, by translating the TimePast (since the last redraw) into a frames past value, then updating the animations.  A bit like this.

FramesPast=TimePast/TicksPerFrame
For lp=1 to framespast
     UpdateMapAnims
next

kevin

Play Mapper V0.40b (Alpha)

After a long break from PlayMapper here's the current WIP alpha.     While this version corrects a few bugs found in the previous edition, the objective here is just to give you a bit of look the current state of the Animation controls.   So far, my focus has been entirely on getting the animation editing window set up.   Had a few unexpected drama's along the way, but for the most part it's functional now.    The next addition will be another window that holds a list of animations.  These will be the animation palette.  It's from here you'll you select the tiles when drawing.           

Note: While it's functional, it hasn't really been tested in real world scenarios. So I'd expect some bugs (big & small) , but we won't know until you get road testing it ! - If you don't, we'll never know !

Current WIP
* Animation Support

Included Stuff
* Basic tools (Tile,Line,Box,Circle,Brush)
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Layer Tools (Resize/Scrolling)
* Brushes
* Context driven pop up menus (right click)
* Load/Save Format (hunk based.)
* Undo support (100 or so levels)
* Mini Map Preview / Overview
* Import Level (packs) as Brushes
* Import Level (packs) as Layers

Future (only if there's demand)

* optimize layers
* Block Export (combine, stream/optimize)
* Add some future proofing for PB1.7x map libraries

Download
  Old Version Deleted

kevin

Play Mapper V0.42 (Alpha)

This version comes pretty close to finishing off Animation Support.  The editor now lets you build animations and select them from the animation palette.   The down side is that you can't save maps with animations as yet. 

Current WIP
* Animation Support

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes

* optimize layers

Download

Old Version Deleted

kevin

Play Mapper V0.43b (Alpha)

This version officially includes basic Animation Support.  Not only can you build animations & render animation blocks from the Anim palette you can save/reload the maps files also.   So you can now actually test it.

Be forewarned however, this is an pretty early Alpha.  There's bound to be bugs with the animation stuff.  So take it easy initially,  If you notice some sequence of events thats causes an error with Anims, then make sure you mention it bellow!

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Animation Support

* optimize layers

Download
OLD FILE REMOVED

kevin

Play Mapper V0.44 (Map Conversion)

Map conversion is another one those little tidbits that's been on the to-do list for ages,  but getting around to it is another thing.  Anyway, it's here now.  What this new feature does,  is it lets you import a map created with the original PlayMapperClassic tool into PlayMapper.   So far it it seems to work ok,  although it doesn't support the importing animations (now that i think of it)

Bellow you'll see the good old standard soccer field map that comes with PlayMapClassic, imported and ready to rock in PM...  Too  easy.

kevin

Play Mapper V0.45 (Alpha)

This version adds the new map conversion features.  These can load a map from PlayMapperClassic into PlayMapper.  

Be forewarned however, this is an pretty early Alpha.  There's bound to be bugs with the animation stuff.  So take it easy initially,  If you notice some sequence of events thats causes an error with Anims, then make sure you mention it bellow!

Included Stuff
* Block import
* Multi tile Selection
* Multi Layer Support
* Brushes
* Animation Support
* Map Conversion

* optimize layers

Download
  old alpha removed.   Try the Play Mapper Tools board.

thaaks

I just tested the PB mapper 0.45 and I have problems using the animation stuff.
I managed to create two block animations. I then selected one animation in the Animation Palette window where the animations are running.

Clicking onto the map just put a blue square onto the map but no animated tile...see the attached screenshot.

What am I doing wrong?

kevin

You'll need to turn animation on.  To do so,  Right Click the Layer you want to change in Layer Select control (the green balls represent each layer) to bring up the layer properties.  Then click animated.

thaaks

Aah, now it's working. Not so easy to discover how that works  ;D

The information that a layer is animated is not stored in the map file, right? I'll have to switch it on again manually...

How can I specify the size of a map? For example I want to create a map with 32x32 tiles and have 20 by 15 tiles (640x480). Of course I want to start PlayMapper Mini in a 1680x1050 resolution to have all palettes open and so on. How does that work?

Can I create a map with a background image as the lowest layer? Or do I need to deal with background images on my own?

Looking good so far!

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

QuoteThe information that a layer is animated is not stored in the map file, right? I'll have to switch it on again manually...

No, you just load the map.

QuoteHow can I specify the size of a map? For example I want to create a map with 32x32 tiles and have 20 by 15 tiles (640x480). Of course I want to start PlayMapper Mini in a 1680x1050 resolution to have all palettes open and so on. How does that work?

Resize the layer(s).  The dialog is currently under  EDIT/LAYER/RESIZE

QuoteCan I create a map with a background image as the lowest layer? Or do I need to deal with background images on my own?

Some basic back/foreground controls are on the To-Do list.  But unless you edit in the same resolution, there's not much point.  As the backdrop and the map won't be in sync.

thaaks

Quote from: kevin on June 27, 2008, 09:25:44 AM

QuoteThe information that a layer is animated is not stored in the map file, right? I'll have to switch it on again manually...

No, you just load the map.
Does not work for me with the Play Mapper Mini 0.45. I have to open the Layer Info dialog and activate Animations again. So although it might be stored in the map it is not activated in Play Mapper Mini as soon as it is detected. Maybe just misinterpretation as I was thinking of Play Mapper Mini but not the general information in the map file...

Resize the layer(s).  The dialog is currently under  EDIT/LAYER/RESIZE
Yup, found it. And it's working fine.

Some basic back/foreground controls are on the To-Do list.  But unless you edit in the same resolution, there's not much point.  As the backdrop and the map won't be in sync.
I don't agree. The backdrop is just an image with a certain size starting at 0,0 (or maybe a given offset). You could add options to tile the backdrop to match the map size or not. Should be completely independent of the rest. I think  ;D

kevin

QuoteDoes not work for me with the Play Mapper Mini 0.45. I have to open the Layer Info dialog and activate Animations again. So although it might be stored in the map it is not activated in Play   Mapper Mini as soon as it is detected. Maybe just misinterpretation as I was thinking of Play Mapper Mini but not the general information in the map file...

Probably.. But for clarification, so when you load the example maps animations aren't enabled ? - or are you talking about exporting and importing layers ? 

QuoteI don't agree. The backdrop is just an image with a certain size starting at 0,0 (or maybe a given offset). You could add options to tile the backdrop to match the map size or not. Should be completely independent of the rest. I think

It's be out of sync in the edit display.  What I mean, is it's only a valid representation of one portion of the editor view. Since the editor will (more than likely) to be running in a higher resolution than the final game display (and the backdrop image).   Hence the discussion about a 'game' view port view.