Main Menu

Glowing Lines

Started by Deux, March 21, 2006, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deux

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to achieve glowing lines in PlayBasic ?

As per this ?   (login required)

I would really like to get some vector graphics going with some sweet glow :)

kevin

Just quickly, It's prolly alpha addition.  I've got something similiar in mind for a tech demo.   But i doubt it'll look that pretty

Deux

QuoteJust quickly, It's prolly alpha addition.  I've got something similiar in mind for a tech demo.   But i doubt it'll look that pretty

Pretty is relative :)

I would love to see that tech demo !!!

I realise I could use additive blending, but getting that "glow" the spilling of light off the lines if you know what I mean, is what I am after you know ?

thaaks

I haven't looked at the code in detail (it's BlitzMax) but Mark Incitti's Gridwars is available as source code and it's similar to your screenshot from Wiebo de Witt's "Grid Assault" game. Gridwars link
In his game the graphical shapes are simple pngs with the glowing effect already applied (so he's faking a bit). I don't know how he does the trails yet, that is coded.
Maybe the gfx gurus (or Kevin) could have a look at Mark Incitti's source code (available at the link above, it's part of the download) and find out what would be the appropriate PlayBasic commands to achieve similar effects.

Wiebo wrote his own "glowing vector" lib and so did IndiePathT, both are BlitzMax libs/modules.

If we could find out how to do it in PlayBasic that would be sooo cool  :D

I played all of the three vector games I'm aware of which are Mark's Gridwars, Wiebo's Grid Assault and OddBob's Vector Infector.
All three are fun and graphically stunning  :blink:

A similar game would be a nice tech demo/demo game for PB I guess  :rolleyes:

I already thought about porting Gridwars to PlayBasic as soon as I finished Astrobreak...

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

Deux,

The glowing effect I think is bloom.  I'm not totally sure how it's done, it'd be multi pass for sure though.

Also, what I had in mind for a demo is a actually a lot simpler than that

Tommy,

Ouch, that's a pretty impressive demo. Good luck trying to port that to PB.   While I think some of the effects are indeed doable to a degree, I doubt on that scale.  PB just doesn't have the horse power 'today'.    Something similar could be a bit of a fun challenge though.

thaaks

QuoteThe glowing effect I think is bloom.  I'm not totally sure how it's done, it'd be multi pass for sure though.
What is bloom? Can that be done in PB? Some link to read about? I have read it several times now (in other forums too) but no detailed explanation yet...
QuoteOuch, that's a pretty impressive demo. Good luck trying to port that to PB.   While I think some of the effects are indeed doable to a degree, I doubt on that scale.  PB just doesn't have the horse power 'today'.    Something similar could be a bit of a fun challenge though.
I will start small! But it's sooo tempting to try that in PB  :D

Tommy

Deux

Hi guys

Yes, it is Mark Incitti and Weibo's projects that I am referring to.

Mark just used png's, I am getting Indiepaths mod from him, would like to know how they do it though :)

Why couldnt PB be able to do this ? It sure seems to have the horsepower !

Deux

Well I got what I wanted working in Blitz Max, would still love to see this in PB though.

thaaks

So what are the tricks that you do in Blitz Max?
Is there a way to code something similar in PB?

Maybe post a small Blitz Max code snippet that does the trick and a screenshot and we can see if it's doable in PB?

Still keen on this stuff  :D

Tommy