Main Menu

User-Made Competitions

Started by flockhound, May 22, 2006, 10:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flockhound

I was wondering if we are allowed to start our own competitions...even if we don't have a website to host it on.  Say I started one in this forum for a set genre and produced a few guidelines.  Then I'd also would have a board to judge.  Would this do?

Ian Price

Whilst this is a great idea in theory, other more popular boards (no offence) hold similar competitions with very few results. :(

The Retro Innovation competition held here only had 4 entries in total and that had prizes and a three month timescale.

Freebie mini-comps can be great motivators, but usually deteriorate into nothingness.

I'd be willing to assist if you want to get it off the ground, but at the moment there are other sites running coding competitions with prizes eg. - Caiman Games and Retro Remakes B-I-G comp (Thanks for the sponsorship Kevin :)) starts in June with a prize fund of over £3000 - these are just two.

I don't have time to enter every competition and would rather concentrate on two at most, with odd bits and bobs in between as I see fit (read - when I'm bored!).

But, if you want to organise them, then go ahead, but make them simple and fun. :D
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

flockhound

Hmm, thanks, Price; I think I'll try when I get broadband this summer.  I never thought about prizes (I hadn't even looked at the Retro Comp so...).  I'm just one man.  Thanks for answering!

Ian Price

Don't worry about prizes - you can hold no-prize compos every so often, just don't make them too regular or too challenging.

And it's Ian :)     : Price is my surname.
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

Calypson

every once in a while - i'll duke it out with some old time programming buddies of mine and have a 2 hour programming compo.  Usually the compo is just one-on-one and the results are quite surprising.  We usually dont care about judging by the time we're done - we just enjoy playing eachother's mangled game produced within 2 hours.

kevin

I don't see any major issues with users issuing their own competitions/challenges.   We'll also be issuing some Clever Coder challenges to community soon.  In the interest of firing up those creative juices.
Devloper Blogs (login required)