News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Challenge Themes ?

Started by kevin, May 25, 2006, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

With the world cup fast approaching, I think it's only fitting that our first challenge be football/soccer related.  Initially, I though AI challenge (Ie. Sensible Soccer ).  Now I fully realize that's going to be severely limit participation, and be a bit more of commitment than such a challenge should be.  But, then again, we don't not necessarily want to make challenges dead easy either.  I want people to think outside of the box, outside of what they may have attempted before.  

Other ideas could be perhaps a scaled down 1 on 1, or a goalie challenge..

Ian Price

Sounds like a good idea :)

Perhaps the comp should revolve around a ball of some sort - not just a football and not just a sporting game - you said "think outside of the box".

Could be fun :D
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Perhaps.  I do like the World Cup as a  theme though.

Ian Price

I agree, it is a good theme :)

Trouble is the World Cup starts in just over two weeks, so by the time anything is set up, and started then it will be over for another four years. :(

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Calypson

my idea would be to have each theme be a different genre for 2d gaming.  Like one time, it might be side-scroller platformer.  another might be Top-Down RPG.  Stuff like that.  Then just make a mini-game within the time limit.  But world cup is also a good idea.

Ian Price

Hey, Calypson - your Dig Dug remake made it into the press. RetroGamer magazine shows off a screenshot of it in issue #25, with regards to RetroRemakes and their up and coming competition.

See HERE

Calypson

wow! I had no idea!  where can I pick me up a copy of this magazine?

Ian Price

The mag is called RetroGamer, Issue number 25. It can be ordered via credit card on +44(0) 870 428 8359 or online at www.retrogamer.net or email retrogamer@cisubs.co.uk

The actual mag costs GB£4.99, which is quite expensive and is a magazine devoted to retrogames.

:)

flockhound

Ian's "ball" idea is a lot better than confining it to World Cup, not that that's what I'm saying kevin meant.  Anyways, a broad topic is prefered.

kevin

Since this  appears to have fallen of the radar, has anybody got an idea for a theme so we can kick this off ?

stef

Hi!

Never saw this thread before!(my posts in BOTS are not related to this topic!)

QuotePerhaps the comp should revolve around a ball of some sort - not just a football and not just a sporting game

I would say the same.
The theme could be:
Create a new ballgame simulation

difficult: as fightsport (like "rollerball","skateboardpolo"etc)  between to players or teams (more AI)
easier: not fightsport (like "skyscrapergolf","giantminigolf",etc)

stef

kevin

yeah, I sorta like the idea of  'Mini Golf' actually, as it puts forward the idea of moving an object through a space.  Something that can be lost on new users.

Ian Price

stef

Hi!

"Mini Golf" could mean

A game on a course with

a more realistic "Mini Golf" simulation (but with special effects);like "zany golf" (a weird amiga game)

or a simulation of "Mini Golf Type"; that would include something like "crocket" (in "alice in wonderland")
or "flipper" effects with bumpers. 

stef

kevin

Exactly.  While I think the goal of any challenge should have some set of criteria (which would vary for each challenge) , it shouldn't overly dictated.   So theme's are open to as much interpretation as possible.    So users can be as simple or as creative as possible within the bounds.