Main Menu

Congrats and Thank you!

Started by thaaks, October 19, 2008, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaaks

I wanted to congratulate Green-7 for winning the competition and his great entry. I'm looking forward for the next releases (now that I can admit that I like it very much  ;D)!

I'd also like to thank Kevin and Fred for their results - especially Kevin for his detailed and well argumented analysis and criticism. His issues are dead-on, at least for my entry and I agree with all of them. Wait for the next release of "Who stole Waldo?"!

I do hope there will be some more competitions - maybe smaller or maybe we all join the coder's challenges a bit more?!

Anyway, the competition definitely was a fun time for me!

Thanks,
Tommy

slayer93

Green7

Hey peoples, im back from my yourney through the mediterranean sea, im sorry, but i forgort to say goodbye... thus cause i packed my bags in the last aviable minutes (as always) and it was kinda stress loaded situation (how about time management? ;D).
ok, the ship did not sink, there was no storm and no man over board, only my surroundings is still in a light rocking motion, feels like i'm constantly drunk, hope it ends soon... :P
But that's not the point here, as i can see i have won the compo! I'm very happy to hear this, its my very first ever finished game, i'm sorta proud of my work and i like to thank all the peoples who supported me through the process of developing, my family, my team mate Tax-5 (its your first place too!), my friends and everyone who plays the game and likes it.

As Tommy did it some lines up, i like to thank the judges for their feedback, they're really motivating and they show me much ways to improve my work, but also that 'im on the right way in developing games. most of the things kevin pointed out where in my mind, but i had not enough time to build them in (how about time management? ;D).
as Tax-5 stated elsewhere we're planning on to release kinda platinum version with many improvements. what kind of improvements is still a thing that needs to be decided, but i try to follow kevins suggestions.

last but not least i like to thank tommy and slayer for their entries, without them i would not have been able to keep the work up, i need some pressure to keep things going.

And why writing it on my own, when things already has been writen: ;D
I do hope there will be some more competitions - maybe smaller or maybe we all join the coder's challenges a bit more?!
Anyway, the competition definitely was a fun time for me!

stevmjon

congratulations to the three winners, it's nice to see what pb users are creating. i thought they were well rounded games.

these competitions are good motivators.
to all those that entered, well done for the effort.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Tommy,

QuoteI do hope there will be some more competitions

Perhaps - I've another idea on the books.  But not in this format.  In fact it might not be open to the public at all.  Completely different model.

Quotemaybe smaller or maybe we all join the coder's challenges a bit more?!

Well,  challenges  are normally just common questions from my  inbox/forums (when i remember).    However, if users here contributed (once in a while) they're be easy way to help distribute more focused practical solutions to common conceptual problems from various perspectives.   Which is one of the main hurdles in learning programming, game or otherwise.

Green7,

QuoteBut that's not the point here, as i can see i have won the compo! I'm very happy to hear this, its my very first ever finished game, i'm sorta proud of my work and i like to thank all the peoples who supported me through the process of developing, my family, my team mate Tax-5 (its your first place too!), my friends and everyone who plays the game and likes it.

You've done very well.  I certainly enjoyed it, and will being looking forward to any updates you have in store.   However,  my suggestions should be taken as just that.  Don't feel obligate to add them.  They're just things I thought might be cool.

Quoteast but not least i like to thank tommy and slayer for their entries, without them i would not have been able to keep the work up, i need some pressure to keep things going.

That's a good point.  Personally,  I really appreciate all of the hard work of the contributors put into their games. It's not easy and  every year there are lots of tyre kickers full of hot air about how awesome their entry is going, or would have been (sigh).  But that's just hot air...   It takes a lot of good old fashion perseverance to stick with a program to see it through to the end.

kevin

Tommy, Green7

Any updates ??? :)

Green7

I'm working on it, had not too much time 'till now. At last i made the tilesets more flexible, so you can definitely add new ones without altering some code, thus because i now got the music locatet in the mappack plus a file where you set the background color values.

things to come:

-options menu
-more tile sets

and maybe:

-more traps
-tiles improvement

btw: i had also taken some distance and a break from coding. as you may know it is always more fun to take a new idea than to improve working projects, so it's a bit a pain at the moment, but the fun'll come back i think. ;)

edit: there is still some room for your custom maps! go, greate and share your creations! http://turtle.freezoka.com/nd/mfh-1.5/files.php

thaaks

I'm also a bit slow currently but I already added an options screen and am now working on anti aliased bitmap fonts and integrating Kevin's animation library.
It's much easier to deal with the animation images than trying to do it on my own and fiddling them into some static type arrays. Now that I know how to create proper images for the animation library (CopyRect is your friend here) I think that's a much smarter and easier way.
And there's more stuff on my list.

But real life was pretty intense the last couple of weeks  ::)

kevin

thaaks

Yes. Nearly done with the proportional anti aliased bitmap fonts and all the required code changes. Right now modifying with the input routine.
Progress is slow as I got some trouble at work (office being shut in the future, 600 people laid off, 120 IT people get the "opportunity" to change the office to some other city 100 km away...).

kevin

Well, that's a bit of bad news.   100k's not that far, on fast highway. Get OLD real fast though..   Ballarat (the city where I live) is about 100K from Melbourne and you'd be surprised how may people drive/train it.

thaaks

Will take 1:15 one trip meaning two and half an hour each day in the car. Add some time for picking up car sharers and I'll miss all the time with my kids during the week  :'(
Not really a good solution. But we'll see - there are a few months left...

kevin

Yeah, it's ideal, a better solution would be to work from home/local office space.   Wish i had a laptop back at high school, used to spend around 2 hour a day on the bus.   For a around tip of perhaps 20KM. 

kevin

thaaks

Unfortunately not at all.
Game dev is at a full stop at the moment  :'(
Writing CVs, managing interviews, talking to companies and such is eating up all my spare time.
And it's exhausting too. Right now I'm just tired and don't have the energy to sit down and code at night...

Sorry,
Tommy