Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

santa's sorta

Started by micky4fun, November 26, 2008, 06:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

OOH OOH DEAR , ive made a boo boo ,
i started each level seperate to make it easier for me to do , but now im having big problems putting them together , bugger ,, lol
well still learning i suppose , next time if i do more than one level i will do them together ,
so for the time being as im running out of time now before xmas , as i have other things i must do i the next few day upto xmas
here is level one , i will try to link them , if not it will have to be 3 demos , or someone else that knows more than me maybe how to link them up ,, sorry if this is the case to BlinkOK who has put in a lot of effort for me , SORRY

mick :(

10 point for red , green , blue prezzie , minus 10 points for parcel
the idea is that you start off with a 100 mixed items and carry what you collect to level 2

kevin

Mick,

Nice, this look and plays very well also !   

i started each level seperate to make it easier for me to do , but now im having big problems putting them together , bugger ,, lol
well still learning i suppose , next time if i do more than one level i will do them together ,

So each level is different program completely ?  -  This is not a great idea, as you've no doubt found out.  Things will clash all over the place when you try and merge them.

Without seeing all of the code,  this is a guess,  but I'd say the easy option would to wrap each level into it's own Function.  This will get rid of some of the clashing problems with variables/arrays.  Not with media though.  Since you're still explicitly using Media indexes.   If you changed to a dynamic approach the clashing problem will vanish.

BlinkOk

hey micky dude. that looks greeat. nice game mechanic too. good luck with the other levels dude.
i wouldn't worry to much about getting it done before chrissy. it's more about learning the language i think.
i'd still be interested in it if you finished in july so just keep plugin' away ok.

micky4fun

Hi all

So each level is different program completely ? yes sure was , silly billy i am i know ,

well good news all levels now linked , a small bug in level one to be iron out tomorrow hopefully
also i am still having no luck with the flash splash screen , been on it for a while tonight but no joy
what i am going to do i think is put game up , then maybe someone can add it for me

ok thanks for all the kind words and support Kevin and BlinkOk , kept me plugging away at it all day
im wacked now ,
hopefully will be all done for sunday

mick :)

ps im smiling again now ,, but what fun , no hair but a smile , lol

micky4fun

Hi all

OK here it is then , ive left it in 1024x768 full screen for time being , but if you want to add flash splash screen then by all means , i just cant seem to suss it out ,
just delete screenvsync on , to setfps to whatever seems the right speed .
Thanks to BlinkOk for santa's animations and splash screen work ,, many thanks
Thanks to Kevin for all the help and him and he's team for this great program

instructions..

level 1 , use mouse to collect the red , blue and green prezzies , but not the orange parcels
100 point per prezzies , but if you collect a parcel then score back to zero
all the prezzies you collect will carry forward to level 2 to be sorted.

level 2 , use mouse and keyboard , keys R , G , B .. move mouse target over prezzie and then press R if a red prezzie
press G if a green prezzie and so forth but be quick ! , this will sort them out
all prezzies sorted out correctly carried forward to level 3 to be delivered.

level 3 , use mouse left button to drop prezzies into house with red arrow in chimney

GOOD LUCK , and MERRY XMAS to all..

heres the game

new download
Get Santa Sorta (login required)

mick  :)

yep there is a little bug on level one , but hey !!

ps forgot to put up code , will post this asap, its messy so ile try to tidy it first

kevin

Good job, this is excellent ! 

micky4fun

yes im very pleased with this my 3rd attempt , the download backdrops and BlinkOk santa animations make the game look good , i will post code as soon as i tidy it up a bit in a day or 2 as i have other things to do for now , hopefuly someone will add BlinkOk splash screen as well , a slight bug in level one where a prezzie apears from nowhere , i cant see where the codes wrong? but must be someware , i have 3 or 4 more game ideas i will start as soon as i can , but i think i will have to go some to beat the look of this game with my artistic skills , ie none , lol ,,

micky4fun

Hi all

ok heres the souce file for the game,
would be great to se the santa splash screen BlinkOK did put on the frontend of this , if anyone does do it would they please post souce so i can see how its done..

I also just wanted to say as a novice programmer , for doing lots of types of games , shooters , froogie , santa's sorta , etc i found the 500 bubbles demo a great place to start..
using the types and dim arrays commands , they are very powerfull commands and quite easy to pick up with great results , hope this helps any novice like myself..

thanks

kevin

Thanks for the posting the source code.   You'll have to set your own little Mick's game site soon.  Already got enough games :)   Concerning the intro, if you had the appropriately sized gfx, it wouldn't be difficult to write a PB version of the intro.   

Big C.

Hoh hoh hoh mick ;D

Here is my way... It isn't 100% but it will do the job... Anybody knows why the flashfile is jerking at the loading ???

The following Part of code I've insert at the beginning  (see attached file for complete version. You need all GFX from the Release Version of the game!)

PlayBASIC Code: [Select]
#Include "PBFlash.pba"

OpenScreen 1024,768,32,1

SetFps 60

_Init(GetScreenHandle())

SplashScreen:

SantaFlash = NewFlash(CurrentDir$() + "gfx\santas_sorta.swf", 0, 0)

ShowFlashStart:

If GetFlashVariable(SantaFlash, "_root.gameMode") = "play" And IsFlashPlaying(SantaFlash) = 0
HideFlash SantaFlash
Goto Init
EndIf

Goto ShowFlashStart

Init:

DeleteFlash SantaFlash

;----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take notice that you have to play the game in windowed mode if you want to implement a Splashflashscreen (see here)

2 Hints for Kevin:

If I run my solution in Debug-Mode I got an error and found cruft code at the end of PBFlash.pba. Can you proof this in your Version pls and maybe correct it?
QuoteThis was in my file at the end:
#IF PBDebug=True
   #IF PBDebugMode=2
      #Trace _PBLIB_ACTIVEX_PREVDBGSTATE
   #ENDIF
#ENDIF

Second:
Quote; make a new window
openscreen 740,500,16,1

;attach pb flash to it
_init(GetScreenHandle())

This is a very usefull hint I missed in the Helpfiles... Maybe it find his way as a part of the file "About the PBFlash library - How to use this library"

cheers Big C.

micky4fun

Hi Big C.

Thanks for post , see what you mean , its very jerky , would be nice if Kevin could av a look when he gets time as he must know whats stopping it running fluid ,
i did muck around with it for about a hour , but ive not really got a clue what im doing , apart from frezzing my p.c a few times , lol

Thanks again

Mick :)

kevin

if you use flash with PB, you still need to SYNC in your PB app.    This will keep the app running at a more constant speed,  but it's never going to super smooth.  

ie.
PlayBASIC Code: [Select]
ShowFlashStart:
cls 0

If GetFlashVariable(SantaFlash, "_root.gameMode") = "play" And IsFlashPlaying(SantaFlash) = 0
HideFlash SantaFlash
Goto Init
EndIf

sync
Goto ShowFlashStart