Main Menu

PlayBasic in action

Started by empty, August 29, 2003, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empty

A shot  from little game that I've ported from DB classic (3D)  to Playbasic (2D).

It's called Quintrow.

kevin

Nice,  I guess I should remove the default 'show fps' thing..  What sort of features are you using ?

Btw, I finally added a sub domain for the Play home page the other day too.

www.PlayBasic.com

empty

Well, in the end I ended up copying and pasting most parts from the original script. So I neither used user defined types nor other more advanced things. However, some of PB's stuff (globals, scope) made the code a bit easier to read and shorter.

QuoteBtw, I finally added a sub domain for the Play home page the other day too.

www.PlayBasic.com
You should update the feature list ;)

kevin

No dramas, as long as it still runs ok..

Updating the feature list is pain..  So that must be Kohai's job :)

empty

Yeah it works perfectly. The AI even runs a tad faster in PlayBasic.

kevin

I wonder why that is ?.  

Got some good ideas about speeding up various write to the same array/type.  I think some of those little tidbits could do wonders to most programs.  Although it might help if i opt'd the VM a bit more .  But anyway

empty

With this game I think it's mainly because of the Loop speed.
Try this with DBC and then with Play:

Text 10,10,"Press a key to start"
wait key

t = timer()
for i = 1 to 1000000
x = i
next i

delta = timer()-t

text 10,30,str$(delta)

waitkey

BTW we need a flushkey command in Play  ;)

I have a better algorithm (minmax) that relies heavily on loops. Might be worth trying it in Play.

kevin

Just looked at the forums total post count and had to have post 1000 :)

Right so it's loop heavy.  I've a few little ideas for giving For/Next a little more speed, but if you use Do/DecLoop for fixed loops, their generally faster again.  However the counter loops backwards from the Max value to zero.

I could build in a IncLoop version.  It'd count the Left Param to the Right Param.  For run time speed though, it couldn't use expression after the command.  But it'd be perfect for For/Next situations..

So the WaitKey falls through both ? .  There's a WaitNOkey also.  Prolly Should have a param for WaitKey though also.  Perhaps a  "until to released flag'  or something.

empty

QuoteJust looked at the forums total post count and had to have post 1000
Good, but leave the 10000th post to me, ok?  :)

QuoteI could build in a IncLoop version. It'd count the Left Param to the Right Param. For run time speed though, it couldn't use expression after the command. But it'd be perfect for For/NExt situations..
Yeah that might be useful.

QuoteSo the WaitKey falls through both ? . Theres a WaitNOkey also. Prolly Should have a param for WaitKey though also. Perhaps a "until to released flag' or something
Ah, didn't notice WaitNoKey. That'll do.

kevin

QuoteGood, but leave the 10000th post to me, ok?

ok :P, but  I think we'll need more people for that to ever happen..