easter compo 2011 , egg selector complete

Started by micky4fun, April 17, 2011, 05:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

hi all

thought i might have a bash at this , hope i get the time to finish this one , still early days and goal of game still on the fly
been trying a few things that dont seem to work , so rather than waste time ile move on
my game is a colour match game as well
here is an early days demo

back soon hopefully , and i will get around to posting some comments on some good games that are in the show case

thanks
mick ;D

Edit: removed dead video link video.

BlinkOk

looks good so far micky. how did you do the wheel? it looks very 3D

micky4fun

hi all

Quotelooks good so far micky. how did you do the wheel? it looks very 3D
thanks blinkOk , must be a optical illusion as its all rather basic 2d , at the moment the whell is made up of a circle image as a sprite
being rotated and with the lines im just using the draw command as soon as i get something that can be played i will post it up
but most of my time today was taken up with just trying one thing then another till some kind of game play comes along
its a slow process as it sometimes sounds good when doing it in your head , but when you put it in action its not that good
so a lot of programming for nothing , but think im in the right area now , but time will tell

thanks
mick ;D

balaporte

I like the look of it - definitely looks 3-D. You are way ahead of me with coding, I better get back to work... :)

micky4fun

hi all

QuoteI like the look of it - definitely looks 3-D. You are way ahead of me with coding, I better get back to work...
thanks balaporte , but trust me im not that far into coding and i think gameplay maybe bland , but with such a small timeframe with working etc , its hard to come up with something grand , so anything or something will have to suffice if i want to enter the compo

but i like the sound of your project and looking at your last game im really looking forward to your entry
good luck

attached latest screenie think camera angle made it look 3d as you can see its 2d , plodding along at mo

mick ;D

BlinkOk

micky4fun

hi all

my dodgy camera work , makes games look much better than they are , lol
ok here is another and last video , sorry no playable demo as yet so next post will be when game is complete , there is only one rabbit in game at the mo
but they will be plenty by the end , so this is what i am aiming at , you need to give the right egg to the right rabbit and some rabbits want more that one egg , with some bonus eggs and other bits and bobs may make this just about playable hopefully

mick ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx_n_2DaQSc

Edit: added youtube tags around video

BlinkOk

hey micky. looks like it's going ahead leaps and bounds. i had an idea that you could separate the baskets from the eggs and make the baskets go along the conveyor belt so you have to get the egg into the chute before the egg passes it. i made a bit of a mock up;

micky4fun

hi all

yep BlinkOk your graphics look great and idea seems not a million miles away from mine and having the wheel moved up a bit does look better
i would love to give you idea a go as well if possible after the compo as i am a far way into my game now and only have a little spare time between tomorrow and sunday to finish it and would not have time to start afresh , the 800x600 seems maybe to be a better resoulution as well making it a window game rather than full screen , the only problems that might arise with your gfx's that i might have in doing is the shadows on some parts ie getting cogs shadows to turn properly and shadow on boot support to look right , but i wont know till i try

mick ;D

balaporte

Looks like things are coming together...good luck!

micky4fun

hi all

well time is a major factor here for me , as had to do normal day things work etc , so not a lot of time left as its 10.25 at night here so just 3 hours at most till i enter game , so i have had to cut it down a far bit and not fully tested , but seems ok , but load still to do to get it wrapped up
lets hope times on my side , anyway im off to try and finish it as you can see not a lot has changed since last picture

good luck all

mick ;D

BlinkOk

wow! it's coming together nicely micky. looking forward to playing it

micky4fun

hi all

EGG SELECTOR now in the competition thread , not really completly finished , but well playable , moving the wheel up to on top of the pipe idea or not , also some extra bonuses and the random basket and rabbit generator needs some work on as it is possible that the coloured egg for the rabbit might not be on the wheel ,
better egg graphics would help and maybe making the baskets look like a crane jaw instead so jaw opens to drop egg , other ideas a reverse mouse , upside down screen etc

anyway any thoughts welcome

good luck to all others in compo

mick ;D

micky4fun

hi all

i will have a few days to relax and catch up with things , oh and of course eat my eggs , sort out random egg/rabbit thing hopefully inprove gfxs a bit and update rest of game and post result asap.

thanks
mick ;D

balaporte

I finally got a chance to play your game. Nice job! It's pretty polished for something written in a week - it plays really well, the graphics look good, and you even got some sound effects in there. I like the way it works, but I did get caught a couple of times where the was no egg to match the rabbit. I think the ducks and question mark eggs add a lot to the gameplay and I'm looking forward to seeing that expanded like you said (reverse mouse, upside down screen).