Main Menu

Dtab Tech Demo V0.67

Started by kevin, September 29, 2004, 12:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

DTAB TECH DEMO V0.67 - OFFLINE -

Home Page: www.DTAB.UnderwareDesign.com

What is in this tech demo?

This demo is an experiment for introducing triplet support into DTAB.   While it does work, it's certainly not at the point where it is a useful replacement for DTAB V0.64, so this  merely an example that triplets are possible within this frame and officially coming  (work to commence in mid oct) once  my PlayBASIC.com duties are complete.

How Does it work ?

At this point you'll see two new buttons added to EDIT CONTROLs section.  1/4 triplet and 1/8 triplet.

*  1/4 triplet insert a triplet'd 1/4 note (a sextuplet - 6 strokes) at the Editor Cursors current position

*  1/8 triplet insert a triplet'd 1/8 note (a sextuplet - 3 stroke) at the Editor Cursors current position

Limitations..

* It Doesn't resize the bar to accommodate the inserted triplet, so the time signature/counting and bar length are incorrect after a triplet is added!
 * There is no visible marking of a triplet group at this point.
 * Play back is only supported through 'PLAY BAR"
 * None of the bar controls will work on bars with inserted triplets  
 * You can't save bars with triplets/ or export them as tab.

How Can i test it's working ?

Easy run the program, then set the time signature to 9/8.  Then enter the following rhythm

9/8

SnD:| o-o-o-o---o---o--- |
 BD1:| o-----o---o---o--- |

if you play this back without inserting a triplet you'll hear it sounds un-even.  

But if you move the edit cursor to the first note of the bar (the first bass drum) then click  1/4 triplet.  This will tag the first 6 strokes as a sextuplet, this will make DTAB play this groups as a triplet rather than 8th notes. So when you play the bar back now. (using Play Bar)  You should be able to hear the triplet..

As you can see it's still a way from being useful, but it does work ....  I'm certainly looking for some feedback on how triplet representations in TAB..

So if you have any ideas, post them on the forum ASAP.  

Download TECH DEMO

www.DTAB.UnderwareDesign.com