News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Wolf3D - Updated Demo Release

Started by Scott_Bro, October 07, 2021, 10:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_Bro

I'm looking for some help with doors? I know they are displayed by extending the ray but...
I am having alot of trouble trying to move them to open and close? Anybody interested in help me would be nice yes this demo should support 4-sided cubes meaning up to 4 textures on a cube.

Thanks,
Scott_Bro

stevmjon

one tip to speed up the render, is to use FX images, instead of standard VIDEO images. reading from a video image is slow.
also, anybody running the above demo, needs to put a 2 in the data map (at bottom of code) to see a door.

scott, i like the graphics you have included. did you make these yourself?

i will check out the code and see if i come up with any door opening ideas.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

stevmjon

i do have an idea. what if when you bump into cell 2 (door), maybe have a door_height value where the texture will draw from, and change this value to make the door go up. when it reaches a set height, then you can pass through cell.

stevmjon

hey scott

not sure of your progress on this demo for the doors, so i thought i would post an idea i had.
this is a test demo, so shows the map as well on screen. the whole door(wall) raises, so you will need to limit this too just the door offset into the cell. also will need to see past the door too, so you see under it as it raises.

anyway, i hope this gives you an idea.

i also have an idea for the floor. use the code in mode 7 (edit 4) demo, to display the floor? draw this first, then walls. might work...

have fun, stevmjon

kevin

This is sort of related and shows an amiga ray cast demo with walls/floors with look up/down skewing.   Pretty convincing.