News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Asteroid Re-Make!

Started by Scott_Bro, November 13, 2021, 11:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_Bro

I started an asteroids back years ago and felt it two buggy.  So I decided to remake one from scratch.
Here it is so far but I was wondering how we might be able to spice up the graphics a bit?
It was known for vector display but kevin has a whole library on that subject so I was wondering how can it look without vertexs,line-segments ect...
So I decided to share it a bit so people could maybe get a go at it.

Scott_Bro
& Happy Pre-Holidays!

stevmjon

hey scott

i fired up my 3D software and made some rocks (hypervoxels).
these are asteroids as a 32bit png images, which supports alpha channel. if you don't want to load it in playbasic as an AFX image(alpha), i made the background purple so you can load as FX image instead and select backgound as mask color.
draw images as a rotated image too.

in this demo i have included 3 asteroid pics, and rotated them around slowly. when shot i simply drew the image scaled down.
later i can make animation versions, so the shadows look accurate. shadows in this single image will rotate around with the image, so won't look natural (still looks cool though).

anyway, if you want modifications, like color, size, shape etc, i can make a series of images for you.

if you have an idea for a spaceship, make a sketch or screenshot of an online image and i can make a new one to your liking.

hope this helps you along for now, stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

Scott_Bro

Wow! Kewl, Steve I like what you've done.
Animated ones sound great!  As for fighter any kind of ship tri-angular in shape sounds appropriate for this game and let us not forget the U.F.O.'s one big one small that will surprise the player's.
I'll get back to you later, Promise!

Scott_Bro

stevmjon

it might be better to just use a single image of each object, and rotate this using command 'drawrotatedimage'. the asteroids still look good doing this.

i made an animated range for each asteroid, every 10 degree intervals, so 35 images per asteroid, and this was about 5 meg in size. it sorta looks good, but the shadow 'jumps' every 10 degrees. the animation is smooth but the shadow is choppy. so that means you really need 1 image per degree rotation... gonna be too large in storage size.

the ufo's are good though, only 8 images for animation (they don't need to rotate 360 deg). let me know what you want to do.

here is a pic of my test animations.

Scott_Bro

Nicely done!  We can skip this topic for now as I do not want to hold you up in the things you do.
I am going to work on other things so maybe later we can talk about different things.  I think if we are going to work together we must
decide on a project and work with it and not jump around like we been doing lately with various programs.
I do not know what this could be but maybe something we both would like I do! have some really cool ideas that I do not know how to do myself but maybe you can be of help.
So what I think we must do is talk for a while and come up with what we really would like to do together!

Thanks,
Scott Bro

stevmjon

well, here is a set of pics i made to get you started. * see zip file below (asteroids.zip).

> there are 3 sets of asteroids. choose the single images you like in the set (they are rotated to give different shadows), and stick with 1 image for the object (use command drawrotatedimage).
> same with the space ship.
> but with the ufo's, use the whole image set, as these are animated.

the reason i did it like this, is the asteroids & spaceship will need a lot of images for the complete rotate set. an image per deg of rotation (360 images for 360 degrees rotation). this will be a big file. that is why i recommend use 1 pic for each asteroid object & 1 pic for spaceship.
i don't mind jumping around doing different tasks. more fun that way.

have fun with these, stevmjon