Main Menu

how not to replace a cpu heatsink cooler

Started by stevmjon, December 03, 2021, 05:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevmjon

i did something stupid. i bought a better heat sink for my computer cpu, as the default one is small. so i took the old one off, and cleaned the top of the cpu, but decided to take the cpu out so i can clean under the securing bracket. then i noticed a little bit of thermal paste that must have gone down the tiny gap between the cpu and socket itself. sooo i decided to clean this with a tissue and methylated sprirts(cleaning fluid), and i didn't realise the socket pins were so delicate and i bent a bunch of them. unfortunately i couldn't straighten them as they all had a slight curve and position. i tried my best and put the cpu back in with the new cooler, and booted the computer and it just started for 1 second, turned off, repeat forever... i buggered my computer.
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

stevmjon

i travelled into the city and bought a new shiny beast of a computer. since my old computer is 8 years old i decided to finally upgrade.
otherwise i would have needed to either get another 'old' motherboard to suit the cpu, or get another cpu socket soldered to the motherboard. easier to just upgrade.

Lian-Li Landcool 2 case (unobstructed air flow)
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro AX Motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8Gb Graphics Card
Intel i7 11 Gen CPU
32 Gig DDR4 Ram Corsair Vengeance
Noctua CPU Cooler (just fits in the case)
M.2 NvME SSD (super fast being connected directly to the motherboard)
Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply (do not buy gigabyte power supplies, as they have known issues)
TOTAL = $3500

been using it a few days now, and it is awsome. suprising is the case has 2 big fans, but are quiet. same with the heat sink fan.
i shouldn't have to upgrade for many years now.
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

sounds like a bit of a beast that one!     My desktops are all old and need to be retired for much the same reason in that if something goes wrong it's game over.   But over the last year or so i've got used to the laptop, which is scary.