Main Menu

A treat for you guys

Started by Calypson, August 02, 2005, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calypson

well the compo is over....our team was doing very well near the beginning, but then everything went wrong during the last 12 hours so things didn't turn out as we had hoped.  Alot of things are buggy, some things aren't working, alot of my graphics weren't used, and all the levels were made within the last hour of the compo (so they're kinda crappy).  but other than that our game turned out pretty good.  We will continue to work on this project and give you guys a better version.

concept work:

mockscreen.jpg

conceptchar.jpg

tiledemo1.png

screenshots:

menuscreenmock.png

mockishscreen.png

hshot1.png

Download windowed:
http://www.rosebumhosting.com/~daniel/jacksteele.rar

and if your like me and want full screen, replace the exe with this one:
http://www.rosebumhosting.com/~daniel/horror_fullscreen.exe

the 72 hour programming compo forum:
http://www.finalredemption.com/72hourgdc/board/index.php?s howtopic=361

Calypson

some interesting graphics from me: (some of which isn't pure pixel, but most is)

I know - the animations are pretty crummy, but thats only because I had only 72 hours to do 100% of the art as well as help program the game.

comments welcome.

kevin

Yes this Looks great, i'm downloading the RAR atm.   Although the link to the full screen version appears to be broken (well cut an pasted..)

Note: This video of this old JAck Steele was created 14th/Nov/2023 but the demo is actually from 2005 !

Calypson

fixed the link to the fullscreen exe.

kevin

Well, I'm very impressed. That's an excellent effort for 72 hours..   I like the use of sprite effects/mapping layers here and there too.

If the URl's are permanent I can add this to PB home page ?.

las6

had to log in just to comment on the game.
for only 72 hours of work, that's just amazing quality.
And there's some real content in there as well!

ran well on my work comp, so that's a big plus as well.
(although I only tried windowed mode)

what I'd like to be changed:
- the shotgun. too long reload time.
- diagonal walls/platforms & collision.
- the music. (although I did like the fanfare thingy at the end of the level)

and I must say I love the artwork. From sketches to the "final" versions, they all look Very pro. If you don't mind, I'd love to use that tileset of yours as a reference to make some stuff like that for limefly.
system specs: Win XP pro, 2700+ (TB), 1024 Mb DDR, Radeon 9600 pro (128).

bugboy

Hey everyone, I was the programmer for the team. I've fixed all the glitches in the levels and game itself so here's a finished version.

Download Here

No need to download fullscreen, its already fullscreen in this version.

Draco9898

What's up, some nice pixelated art you got there, good job.
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

Calypson

everybody - i'd like you to meet bugboy; the main programmer for this project.  LOL, i had him learn the language like a week before the compo started so i think he did a fine job for not being familiar with the language.  I woulda programmed it, but its kinda hard to do all art and all programming in 72 hours :-P  - so instead we just communicated back and forth on how to do things and what we wanted all while he coded it.  man, bugboy - your my hero

Kevin: yeah go ahead and use whatever you need - i'm pretty sure they're permanent.  just use bugboy's link for the program though.

Las6:  lol - if the shotgun had a shorter load-time it'd be the ultimate weapon.  but maybe we can make a little faster.  and i'll keep your comments in mind.  and yeah, go ahead and use my tileset as a reference - i dont mind.

Draco: thanks man.

kevin

Calypson,

I was just going to add link on on the page, but I'm tempted to add this it's own project.    Although, it might be a bit short for that..  How many levels are there ?

Also, hows the platformer demo going for the PB demo ?

Calypson

kevin -
hmmm.... yeah - it only has four levels, but we have a really spiffy level editor, so i'm sure i can wip out quite a bit for you.  maybe a 10 level game would be big enough for it's own project?

also, about that side scroller demo.  why not just use this thing in it's place?  We coded it based on all the things we discussed to be in the ice one.

kevin

Yeah if you can knock them up quickly then I think you could get away with 10 or so levels.   Any more and the player would be expecting different worlds I think.. Too much hassle..

The only drama with using this in the PB demo is _size_  if it can be cut down to a bare bones version.   Like the little dude running around and an object or two.  That'd do   Saves you also giving away the complete source.

Yellow

Excellent work with this! This is indeed a project that's gotten me to look closer at PlayBasic.

HighScore Currently: 1560

PlayerOne

Well I've had to reset my PC twice, trying to run this. I didn't learn the first time. :)

Actually, the first time, using the link posted by bugboy, the game set my screen to a mode it couldn't handle and thus I couldn't see what I was doing or get out of the game.

Second time I downloaded the Windowed version from the first message. That one started up okay, but when I started the actual game it crashed out with a page fault almost immediately. (I suspect the game crashed out in the same place the first time, too, judging by what I was able to hear.) I attempted to restart it, and it gave another error then froze my entire system.

Now, I don't have any version of the IDE installed on my machine. Is there anything missing from the compiled .exes that would cause this kind of error? It kind of makes me wary of trying any other PlayBasic programs. I could install the PB IDE demo and see if the game then works, but how can I then have confidence that my own .exes will work without the IDE?

For reference, this machine is pretty old. It is a P3 600 with 512Mb RAM and a GF2MX graphics card, running W98 and DX8.1. DBPro games have never worked because of DirectX, but I haven't had any problems with programs written in any of the other major game languages.

PlayerOne

Bit more info:

It's nothing to do with the IDE. I installed the demo and the problem with Jack Steele didn't go away. I have also run the RayHitSpriteDemo and Xenon programs without problems (although both leave "winoldap" tasks running).

The crash in Jack Steele seems to occur when the bat hits the main character. I don't know what's supposed to happen then, but that's what's breaking my machine. Something to do with sound, maybe? The first crash is recoverable, it gives me the little GPF dialog, with Close, Debug & Details, and I can close it with no problems. If I double-click the game again afterwards, though, it pops up another error dialog immediately and locks everything solid.