A treat for you guys

Started by Calypson, August 02, 2005, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

QuoteSomething to do with sound, maybe?

More than likely. On closer inspection the game attempts to pre-load some 8 meg of sound.   Which is not a great idea for older sound cards and almost certainly the cause of any crashes.  

Quote(although both leave "winoldap" tasks running

This is part of a boot up process for the program.  It must not be ID'ing your OS correctly and thus isn't closing the booter correctly.  The boot up is OS specific.

I've changed the booter code a little and re-uploaded a sprite demo.  If you get a chance i'd appreciate you trying it.  With any luck the booter won't be left in memory.

Sprite lighting

empty

Well, I haven't had the time to try this game before, so I'm a little late. :)
That's an awesome effort for only 72 hours and it's lots of fun too!

PlayerOne

QuoteI've changed the booter code a little and re-uploaded a sprite demo.  If you get a chance i'd appreciate you trying it.  With any luck the booter won't be left in memory.

Nope, still got two winoldaps when I come out. I don't think that's a real problem, though, just something I noticed when I was trying to troubleshoot the other thing.

The sound thing seems quite likely. Just an old SoundBlaster of some sort in here, which probably doesn't have a lot of memory.

Forgot to mention before that I have an LCD screen, and a fairly cheap one at that, which is why the fullscreen version of Jack Steele wasn't supported. I'm not really sure whether there's much a game author can do about this, but maybe always allowing <esc> to exit back to Windows from the menu screen would be a good standard.

kohai

Hmm, mygod !

That's an impressive stuff ... for a 72Hrs compo, this is just GREAT ! :D

Congratulations !

Jeku

Wow :-)  Can't wait for this to finish downloading--- 19% so far.  Definitely would like to work on a sidescroller myself after seeing this!
Automaton Games - Home of WordTrix 2.0, WordZap, and GameBasic
Jeku's Music - Easy listening electronic...

Tio_Bit

QuoteBit more info:

It's nothing to do with the IDE. I installed the demo and the problem with Jack Steele didn't go away. I have also run the RayHitSpriteDemo and Xenon programs without problems (although both leave "winoldap" tasks running).

The crash in Jack Steele seems to occur when the bat hits the main character. I don't know what's supposed to happen then, but that's what's breaking my machine. Something to do with sound, maybe? The first crash is recoverable, it gives me the little GPF dialog, with Close, Debug & Details, and I can close it with no problems. If I double-click the game again afterwards, though, it pops up another error dialog immediately and locks everything solid.

I get that error when playing on two Win98SE CPUs, but not on XP

servogod85

:) I played the game and I was really impressed on everything! I loved the beginning comments that Jack Steele says. It makes me think of a duke nukem type of game hehe. Great work guys, I hope I'll be able to do what you guys did one day. :D

servogod85

Are you kidding me????? The work was great! I really think you got it going on thee...if you have some tutorial you can give me on graphics creation then please feel free to teach me!  :)

Calypson

lol - thanks a bunch, servogod85.  Its really not all that great.  It was pretty buggy and could've used alot more polish.

If your interested in making pixel art, heres a link for you:
www.pixel-arts.org

there you will find links to everything dealing with pixeling including some forums.  (the forum i preferr is www.pixel-arts.org/pixelopolis )  All you have to do is make something in MSpaint, post it there, and they'll help you the rest of the way to make it looking great.  Teaches you stuff pretty good and fast.

Also - i plan on making a new game in playbasic; a remake of my first game i ever made.  (i'm going to post its progress right after i'm done here)  Hopefully it will be more polished than Jack Steele was.

If theres enough demand for it, i might post a little pixel art tutorial here as well.

Thanks again for the replies