News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

santa's sorta

Started by micky4fun, November 26, 2008, 06:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

hi all

this is my latest game called santa's sorta , it will be hopefull finished in a week or 2 ready for xmas , levels 1 and 2 are 95% complete , just sounds and level linking to be done , this is level 3 the last level in early stages , idea of game is to help santa who is having trouble delivering hes prezzies , he's bag has split and prezzies are falling all over the place so in level 1 you have to collect prezzies falling from hes bag on he's sleigh in the sky, level 2 you have to sort them out into 3 different colours prezzies piles , level 3 you take to the sky as santa and drop prezzies through the chimneys of houses below .

well thats the idea , lets hope i can do a decent job , haha

please look in frogger complete thread in show case thread for pic's of levels 1 and 2

back soon
mick :)

kevin

Mick,

Yep, it looks lovely so far, so if the screen shots are anything to go by, you're doing just fine.

The forum uses the square  bracket tags.  To link an image into post,   you use the IMG tags {IMG}Http://www.somesite.com/picture.jpg{/img}   -   If you change the {} brackets to the [] brackets the board will parse this into your post.   Same with links {URL}http://www.playbasic.com/ {/URL}  or  {URL}http://www.playbasic.com/}Link To PlayBasic Site {/URL}

BlinkOk

micky  dude. that's lookin fine. very nice job.
i had a santa and sleigh animation hangin around i thought it might look cool to have those reindeer runnin. let me know if it's ok or if you want it smaller or something.

santa.gif

sheet-1.png

micky4fun

hi BlinkOk

Fantastic , yep this looks great , thanks for santa anaimation sheet , its going to put me back a bit putting this sheet into game , but i think is going to be worth it and the santas do look good , im doing level 3 at the moment and for some reason this is taking me ages , took 3 days doing backdrop with houses , 2 days trying to suss out how to release prezzies from santas sleigh while reloading another ready for drop , but i think ive suss it all out tonight , but time for sleep
as im a complete novice at this i do find it hard , sometimes it just dont seem to go into my head what im doing , if you know what i mean.
but i do enjoy doing it .

so i will finish level 3 hopefully in a day or 2 then go back a insert this animation sheet into levels 1 and 2 and see how it looks and see what looks best
i searched the net for a santa animatiom sheet , but had no joy , getting any animation sheet looks hard work , so thanks for posting this one for me and hopefully i will include it im my game

thanks again

BlinkOk

micky dude,
that sounds great! i did that animation for a xmas e-card. maybe you could use it for a splash screen. i think it would be pretty easy to do because pb has a flash plugin so you could just plugin the flash animation and use i as as.
this is just a suggestion dude. i know you got a lot on your plate and it's your game so it's entirely up to you. i'll understand if you say no ok?

---> LINK TO ANIMATION <---

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

oh bugger ,, lol ,,
yes santa sorta splash screen looks good , well fantastic infact , but i have not learned how to use plugins yet , so if its easy then i maybe how to use it , also im running the game at 1024x768 res , will this splash screen run at that res , and ile take it that i can link the play button on the splash screen to the start line in my program ,
maybe you could show the code in PB i need to use

level 3 is 70% complete now , got it going nearly as i wanted it , my novice programming did not let me do it 100% as i wanted ,
but its ok as it is , it still works well in the game

thanks for help , very much appricated
you did this splash screen yourself? ,

BlinkOk

cool. 1024x768 is no problem. i'll scale things up next week and send you the .swf and .fla.

this is the thread that talks about the flash plugin. i think there's a link to the .dll etc in there as well

yeah i did the splash screen and if you need any other screens like win, lose, so you want to quit type screens then just let me know ok?

micky4fun

hi BlinkOk

Thats very kind of you . thanks for that , i had a quick look at the flash plug in thread and i think i maybe how to suss it out , well ile give it ago ,
im near completion of level 3 now , so im going to start doing your santa animation , putting into all levels , see if i can do it ok , level 3 has given me loads of headachs , but ive got through it even though ive managed it without knowing whats really happening sometimes , thinking it sould work my way and ends up working another , all revealed once ive finished whole game , maybe Kevin or yourself can tell me why i did'nt work the way i thought it would , when i post full game and code ile point it out ,
you animations are very good , very artistic person , would not have the flare on how to draw like that..

ok better go and get programming again as time goes so so so fast

thanks again

BlinkOk

sounds cool micky. here's the .swf.
there is a variable in there called gameMode that is set to "gui" when it is showing the gui and then when the user clicks the play button it sets gameMode to "play".
if you are in play mode and you want to bring up the gui then just rewind the flash movie and then play the movie.

(login required)

(richt click and "save target as" to save the .swf to your hard drive)

let me know if you want the .fla or anything else

kevin

PB classic comes with PBflash binding, but it'll only work in windowed modes.

micky4fun

hi all

well ok , im doing my game so far in full screen non window , but it looks fine in window mode as well so thats ok.

BlinkOk thanks for file , ive have downloaded it and tried it out in flash and looks great , will try to put it in my program soon as possible , just done level 3 complete but without sound , including your santa animation . need to add sound and do levels 1 and to with santa animation
here a screenshot of level 3 with yor santa , ile be back as soon as ive done levels 1 and 2 and added sound , could be a few days yet

thanks

ps so i need to host the picture image on a site?
i have just attached it for now

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

game nearly ready now , so i tried to get yoyr flash splash screen going , well got it loading up in my game , but cant suss out how to see if play button has been pressed cant seem to read the string or Integer , i have re-named your file to golf2 to make it easier for me
here is what i have got , can you help me ?
i know im a fool but i am still on a steep learning curve

thanks
mick

EDIT: CODE REMOVED

BlinkOk

try;
QuoteGetFlashVariable(golf, "_root.gameMode")
i will be away for a couple months but i'm sure kevin can help you out with this stuff. i hear he's pretty good at the playbasic stuff.

micky4fun

hi BlinkOk

Thanks , im at work now but will try it later when i get home ,,

many thanks

Big C.

Quote from: BlinkOk on November 28, 2008, 09:08:58 PM
cool. 1024x768 is no problem. i'll scale things up next week and send you the .swf and .fla.

this is the thread that talks about the flash plugin. i think there's a link to the .dll etc in there as well

yeah i did the splash screen and if you need any other screens like win, lose, so you want to quit type screens then just let me know ok?

Hey Mick,

BlinkOK should have send you the sourcefile (.fla)... So you have to proof the sourcefile if there is a variable set for pushing the play-button... this variable do you have to read from the wrapper...

edit:

ups... didn't read
Quote from: BlinkOk on December 04, 2008, 03:50:59 AM
try;
QuoteGetFlashVariable(golf, "_root.gameMode")
i will be away for a couple months but i'm sure kevin can help you out with this stuff. i hear he's pretty good at the playbasic stuff.

sry