Starting from scratch again! What about license key?

Started by hovinarri, February 19, 2009, 10:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hovinarri

hi there!

i've had ENORMOUS hassle trying to get from an original retail version which wouldn't compile to a version which actually works...

i've downloaded what i suspect was the wrong patch and ended up with a version which didn't run at all!!!

so, as a final resort i've reloaded the learning version (V1.63v 1.1.7) which works fine but, is unlicensed!!!

obviously, i want to get back to where i started and try to get the thing compiling so...

where do i get a copy of my original key?

what patches do i need to upgrade to the current retail version?

thanks

kevin

There's an FAQ covering this very subject.   See Retail & Updating Questions

Here's the gist.

Q. I have a base Retail version of PlayBasic Installed  (PB1.089, PB1.33 or PB1.44), but don't know how to upgrade it ?

Answer:   To upgrade, Patches need to be downloaded and  installed Over your current install.    Patches only include updated files.  Therefore attempting to install a patch and run it on it's own, will not only result in errors, it  simply can't function without the other important files that were provided in any Full Retail installer of PlayBasic.

Update Steps

Step 1) Install your base retail version (example PB V1.44)  and activate it  (i.e. enter your serial details)

Step 2) Download the latest patch(s) from either the PB maintenance area  (HERE) or TGC site if you wish.  It doesn't matter, installers of the same version are identical

Step 3) Install said patch over your current retail install.

Step 4) When new patches are released, repeat this process starting at STEP 2

Note:  The process is the same regardless of who you purchased the software from.

Quotewhere do i get a copy of my original key?

Where did you order PlayBasic from ?   If you've bothered to keep your receipt (which your meant to BTW), the serial will be in that.  

Update: as of 2023  to can claim your existing license through your account over on PlayBASIC.com  - Sign up now

hovinarri

i bought the license from you!

can't recall exactly when... and, par for the course, i don't have my receipt!!! hey ho!!! do i have to buy it again?

also, i don't have a problem with dowloading and applying patches... i actually asked WHICH patches do i need to use to get it up to the current version!

i'd appreciate the advice and maybe, a list of the appropriate patches!!!

thanks again

kevin

Quote from: hovinarri on February 19, 2009, 12:46:59 PM
i bought the license from you!

No, you didn't.  If you did, you already have a forum account and be in our database.   I suspect you've ordered through TGC.   If you ordered within the last year (or so),  I can find your serial manually, if it's before that, you'll have to ask them.  We don't have that information.

also, i don't have a problem with dowloading and applying patches... i actually asked WHICH patches do i need to use to get it up to the current version!

The current upgrade, such as  PLayBasic V1.64 (login required) . That's all you need.

hovinarri

gawd yeah! what an idiot!

i think i did buy it from them... i thought you were all affiliated... DOH!!!

if you could get me the info that'd be great... i'm sure it's less than a year!!! and i'll have used my log in emaik address!!!

thanks also for info on patch!!!

thanks again

hovinarri

and so the saga continues...

done the downloading and the patching but now i'm getting...

1) when running as administrator i get the register screen which i fill in to get the error INVALID STREAM HANDLE

or

2) when running as a user i try compiling only to get the error COULDN'T LOCATE LINKER

sigh...

Big C.

hmmmm... it's very helpful for somebody to support to know which OS are u using  :P

hovinarri

i'm using vista home premium! any help would be much appreciated!

kevin

Quotedone the downloading and the patching but now i'm getting...
1) when running as administrator i get the register screen which i fill in to get the error INVALID STREAM HANDLE

This occurs becase 'where' you've installed PlayBasic,  the OS refuses to let PB have write access.     This can overcome (on XP systems at least) by installing the package outside of the windows programs folder.

hovinarri

hi there!

tried it all apart from taking the thing out for a meal and buying it flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still not working! still same errors! still same pain in the ass!!!

think i'm gonna give up now! it's a shame because the ide with its wonderful help menus makes programming it very easy!

hey ho!!!

thanks for the help anyway!

andy brown

kevin

How is the post above in any way useful to getting your problem resolved ?

Try Installing -> The playbasic V1.64I (login required)  Update.