Challenge #5 - Pretty Up Asteroids (PB1.67 Tech Demos)

Started by kevin, February 23, 2007, 10:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Challenge #5 -  Pretty Up Asteroids (PB1.67 Tech Demos)

This challenge is to help promote the next major update of (ie the next update after PB 1.67)  by updating the Basic Asteroid (attached in case you don't have it) tutorial into something with a bit more eye candy

Submission

* Submissions can be written in any version of PlayBasic

* Submission can only be accepted in Source Code form only.

* Authors can use external Media (images/music) provided you created the media, have permission to use somebody else's media or the media is public domain.

* Zip up your Submissions and please try to keep it smaller than 500K !

* Authors automatically give consent for their submission(s) to distributed and used for promotional purposes via UnderwareDesign.com, PlayBasic code tank.

* Authors can submit as many times as they like.

* To make a submission, zip up your projects source code + media and either post it in this thread, or create your own a thread the Source Codes or Show Case forums and post a link bellow.

Dead Line

Anytime prior to the next release.  :)

kevin

Ian Price

There's a "thumbs.db" file in there Kevin, these are a pain in the rear, but can thankfully be turned off - it adds 11kb to the file (I know it's not a lot, but they can and do increase in size). See HERE

BTW I'll see what I can do - I've never done an Asteroids game before :)
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Ian Price

That would have crashed a Vic 20, three time over :P

gvillarreal

I'll throw my hat into the ring...

Not sure it'll be what you're looking for, but I think a blending of Asteroids Deluxe with Blasteroids might be fun!

Two player cooperative or competitive modes - we might have something here...

Yeah, I'm definately in!  8)
"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

Unplugging one mind at a time...

kevin

Ian Price

Have a vector ship (and some dark space). It's not a lot, I know, but it's a ship better than nothing (just!) :P

stef

Ian Price

No. An uncertainty about which way to go - solid or vector. It was/is a basic test. Rocks are now in too, but I'm still not sure. I've an idea for something a bit "more" than Asteroids...

gvillarreal

Ok - you asked for screenies, so here's my weekend efforts so far...

Like Ian, I'm going retro with vector graphics, albeit a bit more colorful than the original.

Progress so far...

1st player ship functional - w/colored exhaust 'flames' when thrusting & firing enabled
  Asteroids functinal with random rotation and movement - no collision yet between player and asteroids
  Basic collision between player missile and asteroids with 'splitting' upon impact.

To do:

Particle effects for missile impacts w/asteroids -  sparks and rock debris
  Collision between player ship and asteroids with nice ship 'break up' effect of player ship + particle explosion
  Large and small saucer with random and aimed shooting at player + asteroids
  2nd player for cooperative and competitive play
"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

gvillarreal

Ok - here's a new pic and a demo you can download.

What's new - added the particle engine so we got some cool effects when we shoot an asteroid!

Still a work-in-progress...

http://www.exnihilostudios.com/development/Asteroids.zip

kevin

Nice, but the idea of the challenge is to push PB1.67 (ie use hardware acceleration).   I probably should have made that clearer!