Main Menu

Castlevania: SotN

Started by Devain, September 13, 2010, 03:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devain

OK, so my 2D exploits haven't been huge. I never owned any Nintendo machine, Amiga or C64 and most of the gaming I've done has been in the era of three dimensions. I did play some Syndicates, Moonstones and some other games on Amiga, however.

Anyway, recently I've really fallen in love with the stuff you can do in two dimensions. It's like a "new" world to me, despite it being an older world than the one we live in.

What piqued my interest particularly was the 360 version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. And my question to you 2Ders out there is: are there more games like it, that can be readily downloaded in this day and age, without the hassle of emulators and similar?

I'm mostly after the visual aspect to it -- the parallax. Not the gameplay as much, even if it's awesome.

kevin

heard of it, but never played it.  

Nice opening Castlevania Symphony of the Night Beginning (PSX)

Devain

I'm mostly interested in the style. The layered kind of two-dimensional rendering, mingled with small bits of 3D. The 3D is mostly cheesy, I have to admit, but the sense of depth is really cool.

Guess it's kind of the same as the Advanced Platformer example, though, which is being really useful so far.

I was just looking for some more samples of similar games, with modern 2D.

kevin

Quotemodern 2D

unfortunately modern 2d games are just about all 3d.

The backdrop (from the video) has a number of bits of bobs going on in it.   The sky is an array of perspective triangles/quads, the castle section would be object mapping into 2d space,  So it's sprite with perspective.  The moon would be the same expect it's just quad.  The foreground is standard 2d mapping, nothing out of the ordinary.    

The boss fight has an interesting effect where the foreground tiles fall away to form a rotating galaxy of sorts.  That's not quite as straight forward as the others, but something like that is possible as reasonable resolution.